turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kho47

Is the money I paid my mother to babysit her grandchild a gift, other income, or self-employment income?

She babysits my son in her home and I paid less than $3,000. It is treated as more of a grandparent-type relationship (i.e. flexible hours, sometimes overnight, and weekends). Would it be better for me claim it as a gift rather than child care? If I claim it as childcare does she claim it as 'other income' on her joint return with my dad or self-employment income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Is the money I paid my mother to babysit her grandchild a gift, other income, or self-employment income?

The money you paid her depends on the intention behind it. If it were not your relative, payments for child care generally be considered self-employment income. However, if out of the kindness of her heart she sat with them, and out of the generosity of yours, you gave her a gift, then that is what it is.

If it is a gift, you can't claim the credit.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You can call it a gift and she doesn't have to include it on her tax return.
But, if you claim the dependent care (day care) credit, she must report it as Self Employment, not "other income". It will be subject to self employment (social security and medicare) tax, as well as income tax
Family952
Returning Member

What if the payment to grandparent is over $3000 say $5000?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. What if the payment to grandparent is over $3000 say $5000?

A.  The answer(s) are the same, up to $15,000 when gift tax  might be triggered. 

Family952
Returning Member

What happens if the grandparent was paid $5K from an FSA? Would that be treated as a gift on the grandparent's taxes or would that be considered misc. income / hobby income since she is not doing it to make a profit?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

A gift is not reported on anyone's tax return.  You did not give her a 'gift' if you paid her with your FSA funds.

If you report her name and SSN as your child care provider, she should report the income on her tax return.

She can report it as 'Miscellaneous Income' (not her regular job, not to make a profit) and it won't be taxed as 'self employment income' but it will still be considered taxable income.  If she reports it as 'hobby income' it's still taxable income also. 

However, if her total income is below Filing Requirements, she is not required to file a return to report it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Family952
Returning Member

Ok thanks. I will report it as hobby income or misc. income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies