Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How fast can I get money back on injured spouse form 8379 if I e-file

Good Luck!!

Just finished up with the injured spouse department and they were so much easier and knowledgeable to talk to. He basically said my form was filed correctly, but with living in Texas, the spouse is entitled to half, regardless if you earned 100% or not. The money is considered communal property in which she has half, so they took half.  I recommend anyone living in Texas wishing to avoid paying off your spouses student loans to file head of household rather than married filing jointly.

@Steven1982 - Head of Household is for unmarried persons (or persons that did not live with their spouse at anytime during the last 6 months of the year).  It also requires that you have a dependent child.

Filing separately in a community property state is no better than joint since income must be allocated between both spouses and many credits are lost, including educational credits.

Community property states:  Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
S-G-

1st posting on here. Mailed the form separately on 3-14-15. Transcript says claim received 3-29-15(code 971). Reversal of refund applied 4-15-15(-X,XXX.XX) Code 766.  Then is says code 971: Notice Issued 5-11-15. ? Any interpretations?
S-G-

Yes, got it this week.
hhh5115

I recently got it back 2 weeks ago
hhh5115

No I sent it in the Day I found out my wife owed $. I filed the day I got w-2.

Did you get yours yet? If so, how long did it take?
Kw3375

My injured spouse claim was excepted on March 25 and my refund is still being processed! The advocate service delayed the process because their just as back up smh!
Faith wright
Returning Member

Hi did that estimate come from a person that had to deal with this ? Or just read online? Thanks 

@Faith wright wrote:

Hi did that estimate come from a person that had to deal with this ? Or just read online? Thanks 

IRS Form 8379 Instructions - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8379.pdf

Time Needed To Process Form 8379
Generally, if you file Form 8379 with a joint return on paper, the time needed to process it is about 14 weeks (11 weeks if filed electronically). If you file Form 8379 by itself after a joint return has been processed, the time needed is about 8 weeks.

Thank you for your help. So I would've received refund faster if I would've filed the injured spouse form after I had file our taxes?

Also I just received a email from turbotax saying I owe for the filing package I used when filing...I was approved to have it took out of the return. So now that I receive a bill does this mean some thing went wrong?

@mandi_fuller5 wrote:

Thank you for your help. So I would've received refund faster if I would've filed the injured spouse form after I had file our taxes?

Also I just received a email from turbotax saying I owe for the filing package I used when filing...I was approved to have it took out of the return. So now that I receive a bill does this mean some thing went wrong?

The email explains why TurboTax is now asking for payment.  

See this TurboTax support FAQ for further information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

Mailed mine in 1/27, received 1/29 per my IRS transcript, form 8379 approved 3/13.  It was offset by TX Oag due to my husband's past due CS (he's incarcerated) do I now have to wait for the OAG to refund the part that is owed to me or is this still the IRS?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

It's the IRS that processes returns not TurboTax, you should be hearing something soon unless there are any refund offsets or corrections needed. if there are any offsets they will notify you in writing. Please take a look at the link below.  

Why do some refunds take longer than others?  

Please follow the instructions below to contact the IRS.

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040

When calling the IRS do NOT choose Option 1

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language. 

Then Press 1  

Then Press 4 

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent. 

This IRS FAQ page will provide more answers.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies