turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Nena2025
Returning Member

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

Any updates?

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

I filed my return beginning of February and have yet to receive it. I got letters stating that I needed to allow so and so many days for review and still nothing. Last week I had finally had enough and called the tax advocate number they provide and told them the last time I got a letter was in May. The young lady took a look into my return and told me I needed to call AQC or something like that with the irs and they would tell me what to do. So I called and was told my previous employer didn’t report my income and that I could send them my last paystub from the employer on a company letterhead with YTD INCOME, Taxes withheld, social security via fax or email to them and within a 6 week period( which she stated they tell everyone) they would process and refund my return. The tax advocate number is on the irs website if needed

Hi!

I am having the same issue with my return for 2018. However there are at least 3 of us. Have you had any resolution? 

any resolution?

I'm going through the same nightmare does anyone have suggestions 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

From the IRS perspective, they do not know:

• whether you or someone else made up the W-2 that was submitted,
  • whether the employer has properly and promptly reported income and remitted taxes, or
  • whether they lost your employers paperwork.

I had a employer payroll matter of only a few hundred dollars that took three years to be resolved.

Please hang on to copies of W-2's, pay stubs, payroll deposits on bank statements, anything to prove your side of the story.

Unfortunately, the IRS will likely take their time sorting things out.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Niko0404

looks like im in the same boat. And by the looks of it we are in for a crappy ride

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The best course of action would be to visit your local IRS office and request a tax advocate be assigned to the case. 

I'm having the same issue. I have checked with my employer and the verified the sent in my info certified mail. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Did you file your tax return and then were notified by the IRS that they did not have a copy of your W-2 from your employer?

Another reason not to use IRS as "forced savings" and to keep your refund low.

Yes, my return is in a 60 day review due to someone else's mistake.

The real messed up part is if I owed the irs several thousand dollars for a few months, it would acquire substantial interest. But no compensation is given to us for them holding our money for several months due to someone else's mistake. 

Same issue. Called IRS and they are verifying my income because I'm on a 60 day review. They have not received my w2 from my employer. 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

As suggested in the answers above, you're pretty much at the IRS' mercy as far as getting your refund.  You can still continue to check the status of your return on the IRS' Where's My Refund?  website.

Another option that was touched on briefly above is contacting the IRS’s Taxpayer Advocate office.  They may or may not be able to help you – there are restrictions – but it’s an option worth looking at if you’re experiencing financial difficulties.

Please see the IRS’s Local Taxpayer Advocate page for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies