turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

respond to the notice with a letter saying here is a copy of the w-2 i got from my employer    xxxx   ein xx-xxxxxxx

can't say whether that they filed with Social Security.  you need to investigate them. 

enclose a copy of the w-2. 

mail ASAP since there is a time limit for responding. use a service where you get proof of mailing and delivery. 

Amandmang

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

Hello resident if NY and I also am experiencing the same exact situation with my employer. I don't know what to do I am about ready to give up. They told me the job had to send stuff they say they did but who knows if they really did or not. Now what do I do next? Do I resend my papers again to them for the 2nd time? I'm really upset and running out of time I think I have until tomorrow to figure it out?? Idk but what I do know is that I'm behind on all my bills from all this craziness we all been goin thro and I really need that money .. can someone please please point me in the right direction? I'm 30 with 2 kids And no job due to the corona virus.. so I need that $$ bad.. I was really relying on my taxes to get back on track with life, bills, etc.

Any info would be seriously gratefully appreciated!

Thank you

@catszx2 @chestnut99205 @Anonymous @sahurej @Carl 

Hey how are you hope you got this resolved . Mine ended up everything was ok but they were having trouble verifying my identity of all things  employer did send everything fine you cannot resend any forms or you will end up submitting tax return twice and be in big trouble if you do  they will audit  you and worse things  mine took 7 months till I got my money due to the fact that the social security admin somehow had a typo and finally aft er r calling 6 times to speak with 6 different people I finally found my birth month was wrong in the system   instead of month 10 they had same day same year but month 11 wow and it's a big deal  to update this I still haven't been able to get it fixed they want your original paper copy of birth certificate no duplicates  or copies and they wanted me to send my actual driver license to them by mail I said heck no what if I get pulled over   and what if they lose my license in the mail and my birth certificate  I only have my certified copy they won't take that  which is so wrong anyways the IRS hwld my money with no update no matter how many times I called they told me to contact my local governor yeah that's right  to see if he could help . Called my tax rep and chewed him out and demand he recheck my tax forms he submitted yes I did not use turbo tax and it's a good thing to only cost me 50 bucks for a digital tax return  and everything was good .so the IRS said they have 3 years to send you money yes 3 years and even then you have to send an amended tax form  it's a mess .they finally sent me my money but still gave me no real reason  last year I had my money in 2 weeks .super fast this year like 6 or 7 months I was furious and it was alot of money and I was broke 🤨hope this helps there's not much you can do but wait for a letter that's really says nothing  and call everyday till you get the answer you want from the irs . Have a great day 

This same thing is happening to me too... I filed my 2019 return February 1 2020 and I am still waiting for my previous employer to actually send in the 2019 w2 he gave me so that my return can be processed... and it's Mid March 2021 now 🤦‍♀️ in my situation I know that my previous employer had a lot of issues with the irs and owes for several years... I'm currently trying to get in touch with a tax advocate to figure out if he has actually sent in anything and if what sent sends in doesn't match what I reported ill have to file an amended return 🤬 I'm a single of of two small children and really need the money last year and need it even more so now... I haven't received my stimulus checks either... the one time I was able to get through to the IRS I was told my IRS account has a freeze on it because of this mess... and of course this particular previous employer will not take my calls or respond to emails or the letter I sent him... and apparently he's not sent in whatever the IRS needs to process my return either. 

Hi, I hope this helps. I called my previous employer and sent emails that the IRS had not received what he claimed "he sent". He was very convincing over the phone that he submit all the proper documents with everyone else's but because I was no longer working there I think he forgot or something and didn't want to admit it. Anyways I filed 1/31/20 and when the pandemic happened it held and held back. When I finally got through the IRS cause they NEVER told me or explained to me what was my delay only that an amount showing on my return does not match. What they did tell me was to go to the social security website where you can see all the previous jobs you've worked under your social and that's how I found out my previous employer had not submitted my docs. My current job was there but not my previous tax info. Anyways I didn't get my return until almost October. So I advise you to send your previous boss or your current boss emails that the docs have not been received by the IRS and you can't do anything about they have to do this. It is your employers responsibility. I hope you get through. Good luck

You can check your IRS tax account to see what was reported by your employer.

You can also contact the IRS to tell them that your employer has not sent you a W-2, and this will ensure that you are showing due diligence in attempting to file your tax return timely and correctly.  Here is the link

@funnybones7

I am going through this identical load of non sense. The IRS is claiming my employer did not report my income. I work for the county I live in and HR def reported my income. I have my W2 and paychecks stubs for 4 years to prove my income. However, the IRS told me they  have 10 weeks before they even have to issue a letter to myself or my employer. My income is not showing up in Social Security either??? I am perplexed. I feel like this information was deleted accidently or intentionally because they are overwhelmed??? Someone please tell me how to resolve this issue. I faxed my w2 and paystubs with cover letter to IRS. I ALSO sent  911 form with same info to a Tax Advocate... no response from either. Help not knowing is the worst. 

I am going through this same drama...  No communication. I got a rude IRS lady who basically told me they have 10 weeks to tell me or the employer anything. I am so annoyed with the lack of transparency. 

I am going through this now. I have my W2 and paystubs for the last 4 years. I am trying to resolve this, and our situation is simular. How did you get this resolved. What was the issue??

yes, but I have my W2 and pay stubs for the last 4 years (I work for county) Social Sec does not have my 2020 income either???. Where is this info? what can i do to correct it??? The HR dept at work def sent my info in. I am perplexed. The IRS HAS NOT SENT A LETTER and I would not have known the issue if I did not call IRS 3 WEEKS STRAIGHT UNTIL I finally got through to a rude lady. Anyways, they only have the income from a  Banquet I did for a friend. 

What can I do??

You can file form 4852 if it seems (to the government) t hat you have no W-2 from your employer.  You should also double check what was reported on the IRS on your IRS tax account. 

Here is the link to see your Online Tax Account.

You can also contact your  state department of revenue and see what withholdings were sent to them.

@XoSARAoX

boshaug

For anyone in the future dealing with this, ask your employer to resubmit your W2/W3 to the SSA office. If they do it electronically then it will only take 1-2 days to be processed and I was told that after it is processed it will show up to the IRS, and they can then process your return. 

Ronin72

I am going through the exact same ridiculous b.s. My previous employer wasn't by any means very responsible as it so it was believable when the irs told me the same thing and he had emailed me a copy of my W2 2021 and when I called my ex employer he swears he reported everything and even gave me a confirmation letter showing he had and after trying for 3 days to get someone at the IRS to talk to me when I told them I had the documents stating my wages were reported and received by the IRS she just hung up on me.. there's no problem taking all our money the man like pulling teeth and trying their best not to give it back

I found my taxes February 17th I'm tired of us it is now November 12th and other than a November 20th deadline for them to tell me again I'm sure that there's nothing they can do I have no idea what to do I'm waiting on almost $10,000 and my employer pretty much said that she turned it in but didn't turn it in again with a letter header or something like that it told me I need a written statement from her stating how much taxes she was home and how much I mean etc  i am extremely aggravated to the best of my understanding  Siri I did not plan on sending any kind of written statement into the IRS and I don't think there are you push my W-2 through if not so would I be liable for all the taxes but she was Helen didn't pay because if so that's like me paying them twice

@Countrymamma   Did you mail back a copy of your W2 to the IRS?   They need to see it to match it to the copy your employer sent in.   Something must not match on it, like your ssn or the employer EIN, etc.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies