turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Devdev91

IP PIN

Hello,

I have received an IP PIN from the IRS. When I attempt to submit it on Turbotax in the E filing signature portion the box only accepts 5 digits when my pin is 6 digits. Why is this and is there a different pin I should be using in this box?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IP PIN

Yes, you enter your IP Pin in another section.

How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
  4. If you need to remove the IP PIN, answer No instead.
  5. Select Continue.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

IP PIN

Yes, you enter your IP Pin in another section.

How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
  4. If you need to remove the IP PIN, answer No instead.
  5. Select Continue.
MKILLIAN1

IP PIN

I am not certain however when I try to update my taxes online (because I need to input my dependents IP pin number)...for one it does not allow me to do this online or take me to that section of my taxes...( and does not let me update it) or do I just need to print the tax forms and mail it? Will there be a section where I can do so? 

Killabit

IP PIN

you suck

IP PIN

@Killabit 

I don't see that you have asked any question in the forum, at least under that profile name.

Do you have a question about an IP PIN--the topic of this thread? 

IP PIN

@ MKILLIAN1 wrote:

I am not certain however when I try to update my taxes online (because I need to input my dependents IP pin number)...for one it does not allow me to do this online or take me to that section of my taxes...( and does not let me update it) or do I just need to print the tax forms and mail it? Will there be a section where I can do so? 

EDITED 4/25/2021  12:15 AM Pacific

I just encountered and answered your question above which I thought was from just 2 weeks ago, and as soon as I sent it I noticed it was actually from last year 4/08/2020.   You may have been emailed this answer, which of course, would not help now with your last year's situation.  Sorry about that and any confusion my current answer caused.    I'm leaving the answer up, however, since it may help someone else who encounters this thread and needs to enter the IP PIN for a dependent.

How to enter an IP PIN for a dependent:

Here are 2 ways to get to the right place to enter the IP PIN for a dependent.  You only need to use one method.   You can choose which method works for you the best.

• Open your return interview and click in the top right corner on SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes, ignore the dropdown menu, and instead click the blue magnifying glass on that same line.
  • Then click on Jump to IP PIN.
  • Next screen asks "Did anyone in your family get an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"
  • When you say "yes", the next screen lists all people on your return.  Choose the correct one.

Or here's a second way:

• With your return open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose TOPIC SEARCH.
  • Enter the term IP PIN without quotes.
  • In the selection list highlight IP PIN and click GO.
  • Next screen asks "Did anyone in your family get an Identity Protection PIN from the IRS for this year's taxes?"
  • When you say "yes", the next screen lists all people on your return.  Choose the correct one.

IP PIN

We also ran into a problem with the IP PIN.  We were told to enter the PIN, but it only accepted 5 digits.  After we filed the return, we got a text from Turbo Tax that it was rejected by the IRS.  
The instructions we received from Turbo Tax was to go to Other Tax Situations.  Sure enough, there was a place to enter the IP PIN that we had previously gotten from the IRS.  We e-filed again and expect that this time the return will be accepted.  

It would have been nice for Turbo Tax to include an alert at the place where they requested the 5 digit PIN to let us know what to do if we had an IP PIN.

IP PIN

If you follow the interview path (without skipping about)  the program does bring you to the OTHER TAX SITUATIONS section  and now that you know you have to enter this number  every year going forward remember to stop  in this section ...  you will get a new one every January so watch the mail for it...

ip pin.png

IP PIN

I can't find my IP pin

IP PIN

@Tsiatunuu17 wrote:

I can't find my IP pin

The IRS sends you a new IP PIN each December if you reported an Identity Theft to the IRS.  If you did not receive the 6 digit IP PIN then go to this IRS website to retrieve the 2021 IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

mrsshooty

IP PIN

I wonder if the IP Pin works to override the efiling PIN?  Our return got rejected because the efiling PIN created from last year (dunno what they are talking about), did not match IRS records..  So hoping if we apply for an IP PIN it will accept, even though they are apparently 2 different PINS.

IP PIN

@mrsshooty  IP PIN is if you were a victim of identity thief.   Try using a Zero for your 2020 AGI, since your return was rejected.  The zero has helped allot of user get accepted.

IP PIN

How do I find my IP pin ? 

Johnkeller7808
Returning Member

IP PIN

Regarding entering the 6-digit IP pin:

I followed the directions entering the IP pins for both myself and my wife,  I then clicked "Continue".  Nothing happened after that.  The directions indicated my final step was to click "Done" but that never came up.  What to do now?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies