turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Intuit really needs to address nonfilier-transmission snn# dup error

Many people made the mistake of using the non-filer portal on the IRS website thinking that's how they could the check faster but the horror truth is it treats it as you're filing tax 2019yr.  Do we dumb heads need to use the form 1040X?  Or do we just print out and snail mail?  Please address this or do some sort of an update on the software and online in Turbotax.  I know i'm wasting my time and other people's time on this but it's still very confusing

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

See this TurboTax support FAQ for when the non-filers website was used for the stimulus and a 2019 tax return is being filed - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

View solution in original post

11 Replies

See this TurboTax support FAQ for when the non-filers website was used for the stimulus and a 2019 tax return is being filed - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

Using the IRS protal for the stimulus has nothing to do with filing your 2019 tax return other than it does place your SSN into the IRS database that it has been used and that will prevent e-filing a 2019 tax return with the same SSN.

You just print and mail your 2019 tax return.  You are NOT amending because it has never been filed in the first place.

There is nothing that TurboTax (or any other tax service)  can do about that because the IRS controls it's database and the IRS does the rejects.  The IRS may or may not be fixing this, but that is not known at this time.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The IRS non-filer site has a yellow box at the top of the page warning you not to use it if you are going to file a tax return.  TurboTax cannot help that people do not read instructions given by the IRS.

But amending is not the appropriate step.  If you made the mistake of using the non-filer site, and now need to file an actual tax return, you need to print, sign and mail the return.  Expect a long wait for it to be processed.  The IRS  is not opening its mail now, and they have not indicated when they will begin to open the mailed returns that are piling up in trailers.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I know what you mean that is my fault.   millions and millions of people went on the IRS website when they first opened the Non filer, I read and million people read the most confusing and vague written information ever.  I'm not arguing. 

Unfortunately when Congress passed law in a rush and the IRS must carry out that law is a short period of time, there can be many unintended consequences that result when things are not properly thought through.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

According to my Professional Tax Program,  if you filed a "stimulus registration return"  to get the stimulus check you FILED a REAL return with $1 of interest income on it  and since the IRS accepted the return the ONLY option you have if you must now file a 2019 return with more income on it  is to AMEND the return.  Column A will have $1 of income on it  and  Column C will have all the correct information on it with the differences in Column B which will need to be explained on page 2 of the 1040X.  Simplest way to explain would be to attach a copy of the new 1040  to the 1040X   and just say you messed up by filing the registration and to look at the attached 1040 with all the correct forms and schedules for all the correct information.   Amended returns must be printed, ink signed and mailed in ... it is the ONLY option the IRS will allow.  And then be prepared to wait 4 to 6 months as they try to process all the paper forms that have been stacking up.  

I wish Intuit could update it's software to ask us first if we did the Non Filer on the IRS website and guide us on whatever they need to do or walk us through the amend process. Intuit has known about this issue for months now.   As of right now, I can't even go back and edit even though the PDF cover letter says I have an option to e-file it.  I"m using the online software.  I was also told over the phone by cs rep to just print out, sign and mail without doing any amend whatever thing.

Thank GOD.  but now how do I even reverse back to e file, there's no option to go back or even go back to edit my documents and info.  I'm using the paid online version.  Thank you so much!

@txkpt wrote:

Thank GOD.  but now how do I even reverse back to e file, there's no option to go back or even go back to edit my documents and info.  I'm using the paid online version.  Thank you so much!

You cannot e-file the 2019 tax return because the IRS has already received a tax return with your name and Social Security number.

You can edit the information you have entered on the 2019 tax return if you have not yet printed and mailed the tax return.  The 2019 tax return can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

@Critter 

If professional  software knows that, (one dollar of interest etc.) then why is that not posted on the IRS web site.?

IRS knows amended returns are so easy to screw up, I bet that's why and they don't want them.

If a return not your own is filed with your SSN, you file on paper via US Mail. That's a 1040.

Why wouldn't that work in this situation?

And don't say it is your own! it's a return filed by someone else, the IRS.

The IRS is the last place I know of  to get information first ... they are probably trying to figure out what to do about it however it is most unlikely anyone will be able to efile a second time as that invites too much fraud.  Either an amended return will be required  OR  an original return with an explanation attached ... either method will take months to process it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies