Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect information after importing previous year return, what do I do?

I started the process of doing my taxes and noticed that the information in the 2018 column is incorrect. In fact, most entries are $0. When I compared these numbers to my "saved" PDF return from my records it's clear that something is wrong. It also shows the W2 Wages and Salaries as an incorrect number. What am I missing? 

For the record, I am a long-time TurboTax user and have not experienced this issues in the past. 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Thank you for reporting this strange occurrence!  One question:  Are you using TurboTax Online or the Desktop (CD/Download) platform?  I'll report this to TurboTax Moderators to see if there have been any other reports.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
RickG
Expert Alumni

We would possibly need more information, but from what you're telling us I can say that PDF files rarely carryover more than just personal info (name, address, SSN).  You would need to use the .tax file from your prior year return to get a more proper transfer.

RickG
Expert Alumni

I may have misread or misunderstood your post, either way we would need a bit more information. What product are you using; did you clear and start again and get the same results?

HeatherNC

Same here. Turbotax is showing incorrect things for 2018, such as that I paid alimony, AND received alimony (!), and had farm income. The amounts are negligible, but I'm still not sure where these are coming from or how i can delete them.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Are you using the same log in from last year?  Please see the following link to help you determine if this may have been a possibility. 

Why didn't my information transfer over from last year 

If you are not sure of your information used last year, see the attached Help for instructions on how to recover your login. 

Account recovery if unsure of user ID

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just an FYI that I am also having the same problem. 2018 info shows wrong even though my saved return (PDF) is correct. To be clear, I did my 2018 tax return with Turbo Tax, so there is no reason the info should be incorrect. I am using the website, same as I always have done. And yes, using same log in as previous years. 

mesunbury

I am experiencing the same issue.  For many years, but including 2018 and 2019 I use the CD/DVD disk.  I didn't even notice the error until I got the the end of the Federal filing and it does the 2018 to 2019 comparison across all the major categories.  What it showed for AGI for 2018 was WAY higher!!!  I pulled up my 2018 version of Turbo tax and looked at the PDF of the filing and that seemed correct.  Thus there is something wrong with how TTax is importing the data.  PLEASE FIX.   Sad thing is that I am wondering whether this error, somehow also showed when my son's school looks at our financial data to determine financial aid.  We have received about the same amount of aid each year, but this year, (senior) it was substantially less.  If the school thought we made tons more, because the incorrect AGI was showing somehow, when we uploaded the data, then that might explain why we got less.  I will be calling the school on Monday. 

Me too. I did my taxes online and noticed when trying to claim my COVID relief that my 2018 information is all wrong. Now I am afraid I have to start all over from 2018 using the offline software. I don't know why these two things can't stay in sync?

Same thing here.    Noticed the 2018 state refund amount on my daughters return was wrong.   Import says $256 but refund was $247.   Payments and Withholdings imported correctly.   I went back to the 2018 program and it was a $247 refund.    And this is the most recent version of 2019 TT with all updates applied.   ☹️

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Your state refund will either be fully taxable or even partially taxable depending upon how much the deduction affected your refund or tax liability. 

All 3 of the following must be true: 

• You itemized deductions last year 
  • You claimed state and local income taxes 
  • Claiming the deduction helped you increase your federal refund or lower your tax bill 

If all of the above applies for you, review your input to ensure the refund is entered in the correct place in the program: 

1. Select Federal 
  2. Select Income & Expenses 
  3. Select Other Common Income 
  4. Select Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns 
  5. Proceed to enter the information and answer all of the questions 
  6. Enter through until you see the following screen.  Select Done. 

Your next screens will ask you for information regarding your 2018 return. 

Based upon your entries, the program will determine if any of your state refunds are taxable and this may be why your amounts differ slightly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This happened to me too. On my 2018 filing that I did in early 2019, it imported the taxable info amount from 2017. Shouldn't it just be importing the contact info details from the employer to save time? I wouldn't think it would import numerical values for fields that need to be verified and updated each year. But also, if there are issues migrating, why not turn the feature off until it's 100% certain it's functioning properly?

Want to know how I learned that this happened? The hard way through an audit and back taxes.

I have only used the web software version and have used it for years but it seems as thought there is likely  a major issue with migrating data (which literally has no room for error especially when dealing with people's taxes).

No more TurboTax for me. Better off paying double to have it done right, someone who knows what they are doing and will likely actually help you if you are audited. This is the second time, an error on Turbo Tax resulted in learning a mistake was made with the filing (one year, they included a tax credit/deduction for a grad school credit that was only suppose to be applied to federal taxes but they applied it to state as well. then the state audited and said, we don't even offer that deduction and voila, back taxes are owed and the only person accountable is you).

Me too!  Past year returns saved in Turbotax account are grossly inaccurate.  And I paid for the Deluxe too! The return that Turbotax has for one of my past recent returns says I'm married and I can assure you I have not been married for years and years and I don't even recognize the spouse! Thankfully, I logged into IRS website to retrieve my transcripts and was relieved that they have the correct data on file.   However, I really do need a copy of past years returns THAT I PAID FOR (which I shouldn't have.)  Turbotax, I'm disappointed.  Is this because of the class action lawsuit that forced Intuit to pay millions of dollars for unethically charging lower income brackets a cost to file and now data integrity is comprised because the CEO coffers won't pay for tech support inside your own company?  Not easy to remedy the situation with Turbotax.  How can I contact Turbotax to get ACCURATE past returns that I paid for?  You paid for the lobbyists.  I paid for your product.  Please provide me with what I accurately paid for. 

Yes, same login.  Still inaccurate

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Contact us so we can help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies