Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i resolve the error "We are sorry, we are having trouble authorizing your credit card..." ?

How do i resolve the error "We are sorry, we are having trouble authorizing your credit card. Please verify your billing address, card number, and CVV and try again" ?  I added plus to order so that I can download, print and file both federal and state tax return, entered my credit card info but still getting the error message.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies
z12

How do i resolve the error "We are sorry, we are having trouble authorizing your credit card..." ?

In my case, it worked after I entered an email address even though the form didn't indicate an email address is required.

Where did you enter an email address? I have this issue as well and it is driving me absolutely crazy

I need help with this as well. I can use my credit card to purchase anything else, but when it comes to making the payment for my taxes, it's unable to be authorised. All the details are correct. It's a turbotax problem.

@Sethinspain wrote:

I need help with this as well. I can use my credit card to purchase anything else, but when it comes to making the payment for my taxes, it's unable to be authorised. All the details are correct. It's a turbotax problem.

The billing address on your credit card and the mailing address on your tax return have to match or you will get an error for paying with a credit card.

If they are not the same then change your mailing address to your billing address.  Click on My Info on the left side of the screen.  Edit you mailing address and Continue.  Go back to the File section to make your payment.

After the payment has been approved, go back to My Info and change the address back to the original.

Thank you very much for this answer it worked for me, this was driving me totally crazy.

Thanks again!!!

No, that doesn't work either.  There is a problem with the TurboTax credit card payment page.  It is blanking out the fields and not getting an authorization from the bank.  Technical support needs to fix something.  This is beyond frustrating.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

@tessieca, Are you using the desktop version or online version of TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same issue. I cannot pay TurboTax so I can file. I am using the online version. 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@michael-butchin Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for a possible resolution to your payment issue: Error: Your payment information cannot be authorized. Please double-check the information provided a...

@michael-butchin wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I cannot pay TurboTax so I can file. I am using the online version. 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for assistance - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-your-payment-information-cannot...

pwalter

I have been trying for the better part of a day to purchase a state return using my credit card and keep getting the same error message.  Was on the line with a representative for over 1/2 hour and I don't know if she gave up or we got disconnected but she is gone. This is extremely frustrating.  I have tried every suggestion offered by the community and nothing works!  HELP!

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

When attempting to pay your TurboTax fees, you may receive the message Your payment information cannot be authorized. Please double-check the information provided and resubmit if the billing information you entered doesn't match what your credit card company has on file.

Solution

• Review the billing address you entered, making sure that your street address, city, state, and ZIP code are correct.
  • Double check that you entered the correct credit card number, expiration date, and security code.

If your billing address and credit card info is correct, use a different credit/debit card, or proceed with the troubleshooting steps below:

• Close the error message window and try to pay again.
  • Check your Internet connection.
    • Make sure your Internet connection is working and/or your cable is plugged in properly.
    • If you are on a wireless connection, connect your computer directly via cable to your network.
  • Check your browser.
    • Reset (to default) or lower your browser security settings.
    • Allow cookies.
    • Turn off any proxy settings.
    • If you have more than one browser open, you may be sharing your session. Close other browsers and try to complete your request again
  • If this doesn't resolve your issue, contact us.
Stevepei

I had the same problem and solved it.  I file joint return and my wife's name is ahead of mine on all the tax forms including 1040. When I used my credit card to purchase an additional state, the site had problem authorizing the card. I then used my wife's credit card and completed the purchase without any problem. 

luzi
Returning Member

tried all the steps described here, but still not working.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies