Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

import previous tax return after start

That's absurd. New IRS statements say you can claim LIFO for crypto trading, which is great! huge benefit. SO, now I need to amend 2017,2018,2019. Due to this completely stupid oversight I actually just amend 2017, but i have to do 2018, 2019  completely from scratch!. 

What a horse **bleep** design idea that was.

bpkittel

how do I do that

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on a very long old thread. Which part are you needing assistance with? It may be best to start a new thread of your own for the best assistance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mlc36
Returning Member

Import previous 2019 tax return before amended one

vija913

How did you import?  I'm not computer savy, please be specific if you can.

Thank you

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Please see how to transfer your prior-year return in this link 

@vija913

This is a terrible flaw in TurboTax.  We started our return without having the previous year's tax file.  When we were able to get the previous years file, we learned that it would wipe out all of our work on the current tax year.  This is a very big flaw.   This will be the last year I rely on TurboTax.  There must be a workaround.

@clandret Sorry--no there is not a work around.   If you want to transfer the previous year data into your new tax return you have to do that at the very beginning before you start to enter any new 2020 data.   The only way to "fix" it is to clear and start over.   

How to transfer last year’s return? https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-online

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2262857-when-transferring-a-tax-file-what-information-carries-over...

CLEAR AND START OVER

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
csmalls1959
Returning Member

I never got a payment of 1,849 or got any type information from the IRS on my recent return from last year tax.     You stated that I got  1,849 but what happen to the money?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@csmalls1959

To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status. If it's been accepted, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site. You'll need your Social Security number or ITIN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund to check your status. If it's been more than 21 days since your e-filed 2021 return was accepted, you can call the IRS directly to check on your refund status.

Absolutely brainless on Turbotax's part. Also, it seems like in the old days the process of getting information about a specific line of a tax return was much more specific and detailed, and that was when it was all on disc.

Complete bummer that you cannot import previous years tax information AFTER you start the return.  A lot of work - down the drain.  Had to re-enter a lot of data.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The import does need done prior to starting, in order to correctly import the return. It should have asked as soon as you started to import. 

Please let us know if we can assist you further. @clandret 

I've had to file an amended return for the previous year of 2019. I'm now checking my 2020 return for errors and so on. I noticed that several fields are missing, such as, previous year's social security income, safety deposit box, tax prep fee.

The only answer I have found here is to start all over again. Ugh! I tried searching in some of the forms and found no place to enter the data; yet, wonder of wonder, the program does ask me to enter estimated taxes from the previous year.

Many items of the prior year return are not needed for the current return and as such there is no place to add that info in the interview process.  If you did not import the prior year info when you started the return then that info will just not be represented in the summary screens.  The requirement to import first happens in professional programs as well ... this is an industry SOP.  

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to estimates paid

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies