turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Import of previous year's tax return from turbotax is incomplete. 2022 seems to be a defective release.

I imported data from my previous return which was done wtih ttax 2021. Many values came over correctly but lots of values were dropped, for examply property taxes and estimated tax payments. I have not found a way to reimport that data. Is there a way to reimport? Or can I edit some of the previous year's info?

I went back to check the 2021 return and all of the values are listed. I would way the import pulled over 80% of the old return, but still it's made a mess of things.

I have already mostly completed, but not filed, my return for 2022, so I don't want start over unless there is a way to copy the entries in an existing current return so that I don't have to start from scratch.

The other major defect I found with the 2022 release is that some tax forms are completely messed up. One form, maybe 1099-b, had many dozens of checkboxes covering it and little arrows pointing here and there.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Import of previous year's tax return from turbotax is incomplete. 2022 seems to be a defective release.

You may need to contact customer service directly for assistance. Please see the following information here for more details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for that suggestion, I did call support and the person was quite helpful.

I realized now that the error was on my part - I imported the wrong ttax file from 2021 tax year.

Apparently there is no way to reimport previous years or to adjust the prev year values manually. I am not eager to have to re-enter everything I put in on 2022 tax year. I wonder if it really matters if have an incomplete import from the previous year? I don't have anything to depreciate. I can't think of anything else where the calcs that ttax makes on what I've input for 2022 would depend on data from 2021. Other than depreciation, what else might NEED to reference the prior year data?

you don't want the amount of  property tax paid in 2021, estimated taxes paid for 2021 or 1099-Bs from 2021 imported into your 2022 tax return. 

None of that is relevant.

@untuit 

Of course I don't mean import 2021 property tax as the current property tax; I mean for reference. ttax shows the previous year's amounts for all of the items that were entered for the previous year. I find that a useful check to make sure I filed this year without skipping a item that was entered before. And at the end of each section and the entire effort it compares with the previous year (only maybe as a reality check but certainly as simply useful info). Without property tax and estimated taxes for 2021, the comparison is completely useless.

Depreciation info (which isn't relevant for my taxes) would want to be imported from the previous year. I'm asking what else might be like that? I'd like to not have to reenter everything all over again, with a new return for 2022, just because the original import was incomplete.

Well, probably a number of thsoe things are not critical..

BUT..always a But.

A couple things I can think of:

1)  IF you itemized deductions last year, you will need to enter the proper State refund for possible inclusion as federal income for 2022.

2) If you owe too much balance due this year, the amount of taxes you pre-paid last year, and whether you had a balance due last year, may become critical in determining whether you owe an underpayment penalty this year.....that would have to be recalculated based on your proper 2021 file.

3)  Your 2 and 5-year history report is now messed up for last year's values.

4) Any credit carry-forwards??   Home energy credits carried over? 

5)  I would imagine, Excess charity donation carryovers are pretty rare.

what else??

6)  exercise of ISO or NQSO shares last year...with some AMT credits coming into this year might be screwed up....(but I'm waaaay ignorant of what goes on there, not having any for 20 years)

_____

Personally, I'd start over...but that's just me.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks SteamTrain that's super helpful. The only one of those that would apply is the 2 and 5 year history reports. My returns are not very complex. Now I have to decide if it's worth the time to re-enter so that the history stays meaningful.

ROB144

This is but one of several glitches in their application and logic.

I could not get all the information I inputted for doing my taxes myself to when I signed up for Turbo to do them.  

I was erroneously sent email that I had quit the option for their completion of taxes.  I had not.  Then the expert who originally contacted me did not the release the file or call me back.  I had to actually quit their professional services, then sign up again in order to get help.

Completed taxes in 2 hours after resigning and was promised a call back in 1 hour after quality check.  Never received the call.  Quality check I suppose needs quality check.  And for this service I am paying?

Of course, it's defective. That's nothing new.

This year, it freezes (beach ball on macOS) at several places. For me, it died when I tried to import data from my financial institution.  I had to kill the program, and then it took me back to the start so that I had to reenter the ID information.  I hope that the IRS will use part of their $80B allocation to build a program that we can use at no charge, the same way that taxes are done in advanced countries. But Intuit and HR Block spend many millions in lobbying dollars trying to prevent that, so we are still stuck with the usual choices. Grim.

ee-ea
Level 15

@ee-ea: You miss the point. The free fillable forms make you do all of the work (see below), and fall far short of what TurboTax claims to provide.  You also have to do a completely separate form for your state. Doing your taxes manually is OK if you just have a single W2 and standard deductions, but not for more extensive situations.

At the moment, I am sitting stuck with this poor quality software because it won't send a text message to my phone or an email to my email address with the verification code needed to access information from my brokerage. After almost 40 years, you would think that TurboTax would improve, but the opposite seems to be the case.

==================

Free File Fillable Forms are electronic federal tax forms you can fill out and file online for free, enabling you to:

• Choose the income tax form you need
  • Enter your tax information online
  • Electronically sign and file your return
  • Print your return for recordkeeping

Limitations with Free File Fillable Forms include:

• Step by step guidance not provided
  • Limited basic calculations
  • Filing for the current tax year only
  • Does not support any state tax filing
Fishpop

So true.  You would think they could fix this ASAP.  I'm counting on them for recordkeeping.  While I download the returns it would be simpler.  Plus, I would like a historical record of all documents submitted in support of tax filing as well as pre filling required information from prior year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies