Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Import from Quicken Not Working in Turob Tax 2023 Premier for Windows

I just installed and updated Turbo Tax Premier 2023 for Windows.  When trying to import income and deductions data from a Quicken QDF file I immediately get a "there seems to be an issue in importing Quicken Data" message.  I have tried multiple versions of the files.  

Has anyone had success with this feature in this version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

This has been reported ... the TT program is not yet fully functional and will not be ready until mid to late January at best so you will need to wait until the import is available.  Try again later. 

I can't recall from previous years if the TTax Import from Quicken worked at the critical end of year timeframe.... but - as mentioned - it was "reported" .... to who ?
it is NOT working at this point - Dec 8, 2023 

1Capture.JPG1Capture1.JPG

This has always worked in the past.  Critical to end of year tax planning for selling stock, etc.  First fail in 25 years.  Not happy either. 

Until the program is updated there is nothing you can really do ... you can try again later. Major updates seem to happen on Thursdays or Fridays.

If you need to do some 2023 tax planning you should use the fully functional 2022 program ... there are 2 ways: 

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

>>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy

1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

>>> use the WHAT IF tool: 

- Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 

- Click on the Open Form Icon 

- In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 

- You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 

- To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

I was able to work-around this issue by exporting Quicken Tax Schedule report for the current year to a tax export file (TXF) format.  

So the workaround post by the TT program in the screenshot you posted worked ... good to know.

sec6
Level 1

Like others have said, the ability to import Quicken data into TurboTax has always worked well for me in the past, but it is not working at all now and it is March!  I've never used TXF files before, so I tried creating both a Capital Gains & Losses and a Tax Schedules TXF file by customizing and exporting those reports in Quicken.  However, it looks like this only creates one Capital Gains & Losses TXF that includes all accounts, while the direct import from Quicken would always allow the 1099-B transactions to be imported into separate Schedule D accounts in TurboTax, so they could be managed on an account basis.  Is this not possible with the TXF import into TurboTax?

I am beyond frustrated that this feature is no longer working in the 2023 TurboTax and 2024 version of Quicken Classic Business & Personal R54.16!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

1. Make sure the tax items are set up correctly. You can do check this link for correct set up.
  2. Make sure you are importing a .txt file.
  3. Make sure your software up to date.

If you have done this and it still does not work, can you send me a token?

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. To do this: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools.

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return.

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@sec6 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK, lets see if we can fix this.

My token # 1207364.

Thanks!

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In order to advance a current investigation into this issue we are asking if you would be willing to provide a sanitized copy of your Quicken .TXF file you are trying to import.  

The sanitized file should be emailed to ttax@intuit.com with a reference to INV-28640.

See the instructions in the link below to create the sanitized data file:

Quicken - What is a "sanitized file"?

@Circlespinner 

@sec6 

@rhugg3 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your help and confusing instructions over the last several days.  I have decided to enter the data manually as this will take less time then fixing your program.  I have used TTax since it came out on floppy disks. The last 3 years have been a nightmare with always 1 major program issue that was never able to be fixed by Intuit and cost me hours of time with tech to no avail.  I found ways to work around the issues, but I AM DONE WITH TTAX.

I have filed my taxes and have no further need for this feature this year.  As such, I prefer to not share a sanitized copy of my Quicken TXF file.

sec6
Level 1

Since it is obvious that there will be no fix for TurboTax to provide the capability that has been there for years, which is to allow for direct import from a current version of Quicken into TurboTax, I will enter the data manually for this year.

I also started using Turbo Tax when it was installed from a floppy disk and after all this time of being a loyal TurboTax user year-after-year for so many years, this very well may be my last year to use TurboTax!!!

I am SO DISAPPOINTED, Intuit!!!

Per your Notice: the txf file will not work if you are using Turbotax Online or Turbotax Business.  Why tell people to use it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies