Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Won't allow me to change bank information

Trying to select how I want my refund to be sent, when I click on bank account it won't allow me to switch it from my bank account I used last year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CapB

If you are unable to change your transferred direct deposit information:

Your direct deposit information cannot be changed once you've successfully e-filed or mailed your returns.

If your e-filed return was rejected or you have not mailed your returns to change or edit your bank information for direct deposit:

1.      Uncheck the box "I want my refund deposited into this account" 

2.      Scroll to the bottom of the screen and press "continue"

3.      On the "Let's get your bank account info" screen enter your updated bank information for direct deposit.

To edit your bank account for direct deposit of your refund in TurboTax Online:

1.  Sign In to TurboTax Online

2.  Select "Take me to my return"

3.  Select "Pick up where I left off"

4.  Select the "File" tab (right of the screen) 

5.  Select "Revisit" next to "Your refund info"

6.  Select "In my bank" 

7.  Edit on the "Let's get your bank account info" screen

8.  Press "Continue" (bottom right corner)

To edit your bank account for direct deposit of your refund in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Open TurboTax Desktop

2.  Select the "File" tab (right of the screen) 

3.  Continue to answer the interview questions to e-file your return until the "How do you want your $$$$ federal refund?" screen

4.  Select "Direct Deposit to bank account" 

5.  Enter "Direct Deposit Information"

6.  Press "Continue" (bottom right corner)

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CapB

If you are unable to change your transferred direct deposit information:

Your direct deposit information cannot be changed once you've successfully e-filed or mailed your returns.

If your e-filed return was rejected or you have not mailed your returns to change or edit your bank information for direct deposit:

1.      Uncheck the box "I want my refund deposited into this account" 

2.      Scroll to the bottom of the screen and press "continue"

3.      On the "Let's get your bank account info" screen enter your updated bank information for direct deposit.

To edit your bank account for direct deposit of your refund in TurboTax Online:

1.  Sign In to TurboTax Online

2.  Select "Take me to my return"

3.  Select "Pick up where I left off"

4.  Select the "File" tab (right of the screen) 

5.  Select "Revisit" next to "Your refund info"

6.  Select "In my bank" 

7.  Edit on the "Let's get your bank account info" screen

8.  Press "Continue" (bottom right corner)

To edit your bank account for direct deposit of your refund in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Open TurboTax Desktop

3.  Continue to answer the interview questions to e-file your return until the "How do you want your $$$$ federal refund?" screen

CapB

Edited 3/12/17
SL58

IM TRYING TO CHANGE MY ACCOUT INFO TO JUST SENDING ME MY CHECK IN THE MAIL ION WANT  IT TO GO TO THE BANK ACCOUNT HOW DO I DO THAT

@SL58 wrote:

IM TRYING TO CHANGE MY ACCOUT INFO TO JUST SENDING ME MY CHECK IN THE MAIL ION WANT  IT TO GO TO THE BANK ACCOUNT HOW DO I DO THAT

Once a tax return has been filed and accepted the method of receiving a tax refund cannot be changed.

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?
In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

Riklaunim
Returning Member

This is for TurboTax 2020 Desktop Version

I am having the same problem, however

1. Open TurboTax Desktop

After #6, when I click "Continue"

The screen automatically refreshes, but has the "mail a check" option selected.  The ONLY way I can advance to the next screen by clicking continue, is if I request a paper check.

I do not want a check, I want to direct deposit.  How do I get the program to accept my direct deposit request?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

There is an option that is being missed.  I suggest going back to "File" to start that process over.  Walk through all of the questions and be careful to say e-file for Federal and State.  Proceed to how you want to receive your refund then it should allow you to enter your bank account.  If there is an old account listed there, It should ask if the account information is correct, this is your opportunity to change to current information.

If you are still having problems, use the steps below.

To add or edit your direct deposit account information (before you E-file) in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign In to TurboTax Online

2. Select "Take me to my return"

3. Select "Pick up where I left off"

4. Select the "File" tab (right of the screen) 

5. Select "Revisit or Start" next to "Your refund info"

6. Select "In my bank" 

7. Edit on the "Let's get your bank account info" screen

8. Press "Continue" (bottom right corner)

To add/edit your direct deposit account (before you E-file) in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Open TurboTax Desktop

2. Select the "File" tab (right of the screen) 

3. Continue to answer the interview questions to e-file your return until the "How do you want your $$$$ federal refund?" screen

4. Select "Direct Deposit to bank account" 

5. Enter "Direct Deposit Information"

6. Press "Continue" (bottom right corner

The above works if you have not filed yet.  If your return has been accepted, you cannot change your bank information.  If you have not filed your return, you can go through the File section, continue to the screen that asks how you want your refund.

edited 2/1/21 | 1:46 pst

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Riklaunim
Returning Member

Stop please do not give vague answers or cookie cutter replies.  I did go over every option available to me.  And your reply is fairly obvious that you did not read what I typed, which is extremely insulting.

I am using the Desktop Version - DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE ONLINE VERSION OR GIVE DIRECTIONS FOR THE ONLINE STUFF

When I get to the screen "How do you want your ___ refund?"

I select my bank and the information.  Then I click continue.  The screen refreshes to the SAME SCREEN and it automatically selects "Mail me a check."

The problem is when I say continue from mail me a check, the program moves to the next section.  When I say direct deposit my money, it will not advance to the next screen, nor does it say anything is wrong.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to us directly at the link here for further assistance.  

Riklaunim
Returning Member

Thank you but I already did that.  The Tech could not see the screen or the behavior.  And was told to wait until February 12.  Which I do understand, but the program it self should allow me to keep going, until it hit an error then give a pop up.  This was in the other versions, from 2015, it should be in this one too.

Again the ONLY time it will go to the next screen is if I say, "mail me a check."  It will not accept the banking information or anything.

This might entirely be a temporary fraud protection for your benefit that it will not accept any change in banking information. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of fraud that has occurred this past year. I am a CPA and when not doing tax expert work I work for public companies in their fraud department. It is everywhere. Just sit tight until after the 12th and if it still is not allowing you to change bank information, then please let me know and I will see what I can do on my end.

I have followed the online instructions for entering my bank routing number and account number and click Use Direct Deposit and it keeps saying I need to enter account number and routing number.  It will not save what was entered.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Did you already file your tax return? If so, you cannot change the bank account info. If you haven't already filed, then you can change it.

Please try clearing your cache and deleting your cookies first. Then input the account info in again.

Here are two articles that will show you how to clear your cache and delete your cookies.       

How to clear your cache - Community       

How do I delete cookies? - Community       

@lorenesilltax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies