turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my federal and state taxes were accepted, then do I still need to send in a payment voucher?

how to change payment method if my taxes were accepted?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If my federal and state taxes were accepted, then do I still need to send in a payment voucher?

How did you select to pay it?  Did you enter your bank info for the IRS to pull it out?

You can pay the IRS directly at

https://www.irs.gov/payments

For a state tax due

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

Be Careful ... if you owe and choose to mail the payment there will be ONE 1040-V for the 2020 balance due to mail in with a payment.

HOWEVER since you owed on the 2020 return  the program may have populated FOUR  1040-ES forms which are for the 2021 quarterly estimated payments if you need to make them.  These will NOT pay the 2020 balance due they are ONLY for pre paying your 2021 taxes in advance so you don't owe again next year.  These are not mandatory simply suggestions.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. How to change payment method after my e-filed taxes were accepted?

A. You can't change it.

You selected a method of payment before pushing the file now button.  That's the method you should use.  It sounds like you selected mail in the payment with a printed voucher.  Read the "filing instructions" TurboTax prepared to verify that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies