turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpexpc

If I am married filing jointly and my income is less then $5000 but my spouse is about $25,000 do I need to actually claim mine?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I am married filing jointly and my income is less then $5000 but my spouse is about $25,000 do I need to actually claim mine?

You absolutely do have to include your income on that tax return.  Every W-2 that you received must be reported on your tax return, even if they are for small amounts.  Remember that each one of those W-2’s has your Social Security number on it, and that income was reported to the IRS by the employer.  You do not want to get in trouble with the IRS for under-reporting your income.

ALL of your W-2’s must be entered on the SAME tax return.  After you enter the first one, you click Add Another W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You absolutely do have to include your income on that tax return.  Every W-2 that you received must be reported on your tax return, even if they are for small amounts.  Remember that each one of those W-2’s has your Social Security number on it, and that income was reported to the IRS by the employer.  You do not want to get in trouble with the IRS for under-reporting your income.

ALL of your W-2’s must be entered on the SAME tax return.  After you enter the first one, you click Add Another W-2.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Tiff22adan
Returning Member

So do you need to report wages less than 3500? 

Tiff22adan
Returning Member

If married filing jointly wife made less than 3500 do those wages need to go on tax return? 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. All income must be reported on a joint return regardless of the amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The IRS requires you to report all of the income that you make every year.  That's just the law.  More to the point - if you file a tax return with both you and your spouse's social security numbers on it and then leave off income that has been reported to the IRS it can delay processing of your return and lead to fun letters from the IRS where they reduce your refund or require you to re-file.  Avoid the hassle and just include everything.

@Mikeboynton19

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies