turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked a full year and my tax return is only $1. This doens't seem right, does anyone have any idea why my tax return is only amounting to this little? I'm v confused

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

I worked a full year and my tax return is only $1. This doens't seem right, does anyone have any idea why my tax return is only amounting to this little? I'm v confused

if that your refund? $1? 

that just means the taxes taken out each paycheck "perfectly" estimated the taxes calculated on your tax return. 

While it's possible you paid the taxes down that close, it's always good to double-check.  You need to be sure you entered your income and withholding, tax payments, etc. correctly, and that there are no typo's, misplaced decimals or commas, etc.

Print out  your return and go over each line carefully to be sure your entries are correct.  Compare it to last year's return and see if you spot anything that looks different, and if so, investigate your entries for that topic.   Also be sure you received any tax credits you were entitled to, such as the Earned Income Credit, if applicable.

Mine too?!?, I'm so bitter. 

what are you bitter about? you should be happy.  What was withheld from each paycheck meets what you owe and the government wasn't using your money all year.

Alternatively, ask your employer to withhold more each week.  That will cause a refund next year. 

Leauntay

Anybody found out while there’s is doing that? Mine is doing that too 

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Smaller refunds aren't necessarily a bad thing: It may mean that you kept more of your own cash instead of overpaying the IRS.

If you can provide more details of your tax situation, I can check to see if you have missed any tax credits.

You can always reach out to TurboTax Experts to ask your questions before you file your returns. 

@Leauntay

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Leauntay

Hey did you find out what was wrong? I’m having the same problem. I can’t get in contact with turbo tax please help

@Leauntay wrote:

Hey did you find out what was wrong? I’m having the same problem. I can’t get in contact with turbo tax please help

Look at your tax return and follow the math on the lines with amounts entered.  

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Leauntay

Hey did you find out why your return was $1 mine is doing that now 

melmom16

Mine is showing only 1.00 i always get a refund.  Did you get an answer?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

There are many reasons your refund changes year-to-year.  This is why it is a good idea to check your withholdings at the beginning of the year and any time there are any changes during the tax year,  See Why did my refund go down compared to last year's?

melmom16

I have worked several years at same place..so has my daughter.  We both do zero withholding on W4 at the sign up every year.  That way max will be taken out the entire year.  The page shows your refund is $3423.00.  Before the page to submit it says 1.00.  Thats a huge difference and does not make sense.  So i am trying to find out if this is happening to anyone else who is already filing this year.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Try clearing your cache and deleting the cookies. If that doesn't work, try using a different browser. If you continue to have this experience after trying those steps, please contact Customer Support for assistance.  @melmom16 

For information on how to contact Customer Support, please visit the link below.

How do I contact TurboTax? - Intuit

For information on how to clear your cache, please visit the help article below.

How to clear your cache - Intuit

For information on how to delete your cookies, please visit the help article below.

How do I delete cookies? - Intuit

My expected Federal refund was over $400 yesterday. Today it's $1. What changed? Clearing my cache/cookies did nothing. Seems like an Intuit problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies