turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saheath1

I was sent a verification code via email. Correct email was used. I've tried several times but error message says code expired or is incorrect?

Trying to finish up filing taxes electronically. I was sent a verification code via email (which is correct), but it is NOT WORKING. What now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I was sent a verification code via email. Correct email was used. I've tried several times but error message says code expired or is incorrect?

Hello @saheath1!

It sounds like you are having some trouble with receiving your filing verification code from TubroTax.

If you did not receive your code here is a few things to check:

1. Check the email address on the Next, let's verify your email screen.
  2. If your email is right, check your spam or junk folders. in case the email accidentally got sorted incorrectly by your email provider.
  3. If your email isn’t there, there may be a delay with your email provider. Contact them to find out what to do to remove the delay.

Also, I recommend reviewing the resource we have on this subject:

What if I'm having trouble wtih my filing verification code? 

Hope that helps!

Adrian E

I've tried to receive my code several times but nothing happens at all, says expired

@2RedandBlue Yu have to keep your TurboTax tax tab open and use another tab for your email.  If you only use one tab, the verification code expires when you close that tab.  Keep two "windows" open so you can get to the code and enter it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Then you are using an old code ... if you are asking for a new code over and over then all the old codes are no longer any good.   You must wait until you get the new code ... don't be impatient as it sometimes takes a few minutes ... you may need to refresh your email several times until it comes in ... also check your spam folders.

An alternative is to get a code texted to your phone instead. 

Make sure to leave the window open that asks you for the code. If you close this window and go back after you receive the code, the code will no longer be valid. If you need your browser to get your e-mail, open a new separate window, don't close. Also, make sure you are using the most recent code and not using a prior one. Every time that you ask for a code it cancels out all the previous ones that were sent and only takes the most recent. Please wait a few minutes after each code request to receive your email. It is not generated instantly. 

You can also request your code via text message. To receive your codes through text please complete the following: 

1.  Sign into your account
  2. Select My Account
  3. Select Account Settings
  4. Select the blue Security tab on the left
  5. Select Two Step Verification
  6. Select Turn On
  7. Enter your Phone Number and Password
  8.  Sign out of TurboTax, close your browser and sign back in. You should receive a verification code shortly after signing back into your account. 

If you are still unable to get the code to work through text, choose I forgot my user ID or password and then choose I don't know my email address or user ID. You’ll be asked to provide some information about yourself, and then you’ll be asked a few questions verify your identity. If that method fails, you’ll get a phone number to contact customer support.

organmnn

Each id code gives a message of wrong number or expired on the last step of filing.

I was sent a verification code.Iused the correct email and thecodeinthe email but it says my code expired or incorrect. What do I do now ?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@jacquelinepayne 

You can always resend the code and try it again. Leave the window open that asks for the code; closing it will invalidate the code.

• Open another tab or window or use a different browser to check your email for the code.
  • If you're using a mobile device, it's okay to open your email app or another tab in your browser. Just keep TurboTax open in the background and return when you've got your code.

If you still have the same issue after following the steps above, I would reach out to TurboTax customer support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies