turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used the free version last year to do taxes for my 16 yo daughter. Because of covid she didn't work in 2020. Can I use the free version this year to do my own taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I used the free version last year to do taxes for my 16 yo daughter. Because of covid she didn't work in 2020. Can I use the free version this year to do my own taxes?

Yes -- TurboTax Free is designed for simple returns.  You can certainly start your return in the free version.  If there is a something in your return that's a little more complicated, TurboTax will let you know if you have to upgrade.  You'll be able to do so without losing any of the information you've already entered. 

My problem is that when I log in the system wants me to complete a new form for my daughter but I want to use it for myself this year.  How do I start a new return without the system trying to add my daughter's info?

@adadof5girls 

No...you don't use her account...that is hers....and must remain so into the future.

Log out....go to the main Online choice page and select the Free version, and create a NEW account for yourself.

Keep track/write down of which  UserID/Pwd belongs to which person....you will forget by next week/month/year.

Whether you can continue to sue the Free version will depend on what types of forms your tax return requires...but the software will prompt you to upgrade if needed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@adadof5girls wrote:

My problem is that when I log in the system wants me to complete a new form for my daughter but I want to use it for myself this year.  How do I start a new return without the system trying to add my daughter's info?

You have to create a new account with a new User ID for your tax return.  The TurboTax online editions are only for one tax return per account and User ID.

Go to this TurboTax website for the online editions, click on the edition you want to use and create a new account, do NOT sign onto the website with your daughter's User ID - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies