turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ryuhwaki

I submitted my tax refund for federal and states both. But I got rejected status for my california tax

Is there anything i need to do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

I submitted my tax refund for federal and states both. But I got rejected status for my california tax

Yes, there is something you need to do.  You need to determine why your California return was rejected, correct it, and re-submit.  If you are unable to successfully transmit  your state return, you will have print and mail your state tax return.  If you don't e-file your state return, or mail it, you won't receive any refund you are due, and if you owe, you could be subject to penalty and interest if you don't file by the due date.  For information on fixing a rejected return, see the following TurboTax Help Article:

How do I fix a rejected return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The email that I received from Intuit when my California tax return was rejected included the following:

"

Once you've opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what's causing the problem will be displayed.

From there we can walk you through making the updates you need and help you e-file your return.

I followed the instructions (which involved checking certain portions of the federal return), then recalculated and resubmitted the state return (at no additional charge). 

Let's see what happens. 

Same here. Filed both on Jan 29th. Fed was ok. But checked today and state tax said pending on Turbo tax, Californis Tax Board site said had no record, even after giving them a submission verification number given to me from turbotax assistant.  They said to contact turbotax again. And then today Feb 18th got an email from Franchise Tax Board stating it was rejected. Went back into Turbotax also shows rejected, and saying "it happens sometimes. Let's fix it" So it takes me back into Turbo Tax and says nothing was wrong with my return, but there was an error in the Turbotax software that caused it to be rejected. All I had to I had complete a small form that wasnt there before. So I did that , and resubmitted it again. We will see what happens next. Anyway, evidently people who filed through TurboTax early, got rejected, because of their of an error in Turbo Tax softwware. Maybe this is why your state tax  says pending or rejected. Hope this helps.

I never got any instruction from turbo tax about how to proceed.   I ended up correcting it, printing it and paying $25 to mail it from Korea.  I want a refund for the software, which was inaccurate,  and the filing fee, because electronic filing didn't go through.   TurboTax never responded to my rquests for help. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We are not able to assist with a refund here on this public forum.  Please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies