turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I recieved a deposit and it said TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF for an amount much less than my expected return. Called offset number and it said i dont owe anything. Anyone?

hi i havent recieved anything from the irs stating my refund was  changing. i received only half of my refund.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I recieved a deposit and it said TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF for an amount much less than my expected return. Called offset number and it said i dont owe anything. Anyone?

As stated above there is some government debt being collected.  Contact the IRS and if nothing federal contact your state department of revenue for any state collection information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a deposit saying the exact same thing, I also called the offset number; which said that I didnt owe anybody anything, but I received half of my expected refund.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

The best place to start calling the IRS and asking them what they are showing your taxpayer profile. They will tell you if you are showing an offset pending. If you file as married filing jointly have your spouse call the IRS as well and find out if they are showing an offset. Sometimes the Treasury offset department might not show student loans that need to be paid. 

If the IRS is showing an offset then you know that is where the refund went to. If not, ask them why your refund was lower than anticipated and see what they can find out. 

Elvin2001

I recieved a deposit and it said TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF for an amount much less than my expected return. Called offset number and it said i dont owe anything. Anyone?

I need to know what is going on 

I didn't receive all my refunds it wasn't all my money

WKins2
Expert Alumni

The best place to start calling the IRS and asking them what they are showing your taxpayer profile. They will tell you if you are showing an offset pending. If you file as married filing jointly have your spouse call the IRS as well and find out if they are showing an offset. Sometimes the Treasury offset department might not show student loans that need to be paid. 

Why did y'all take 675 out my account 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If TurboTax wihdrew monies from your account chances are you owed taxes and elected to have the funds taken from your account.

If your refund is $675.00 less than you were expecting, you could have had a treasury offset. 

When the IRS processes your refund and on the transcript you see TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF that means the following: "If your client's refund is less than expected and you see a coinciding TCS TREAS 449 offset, this means that the tax payers refund has been reduced to repay a debt collected through the Treasury Offset Program. This program is designed to collect delinquent debts that are owed to states and federal agencies."

You, or your spouse have past due debts and your refund has been used either from the IRS and/or your state and applied to that debt. Call the IRS and/or your state and they will be able to assist you in why the refund was applied and how much was applied so you know if you are getting any of your refund back. 

call me [phone number removed]

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try the IRS link for contact information concerning offsets.  You should also receive a notice in the mail.  

Hello i want to no do i own anything else

What does 448 tcs mean?Is this my stimulus payments?

Hello! I received a $ 138.00 deposit in a bank account, would I like to know what that money is?

Is this related to the  Stimulus payment that everybody's getting? Or is this related to something else? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies