turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BBH9

I paid taxes on all of my unemployment in 2020 so I overpaid as they made more than $10,000 not subject to taxes. When will I get my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I paid taxes on all of my unemployment in 2020 so I overpaid as they made more than $10,000 not subject to taxes. When will I get my refund?

I would like to know the same thing as above , not replying asking

FCG
Returning Member

Then ASK the question.

The IRS is working to have all refunds issued by December 11.

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Hello BBH9

I understand you have unemployment compensation and had tax withheld from the unemployment compensation.  When you prepare your tax return, your tax is based on all your taxable income and your tax is then reduced by all your withholdings.  For example, if you also had wages in 2020, its quite possible the withholdings were not enough to cover the tax from the wages, but on your return all taxable income; wages and unemployment compensation is combined, and then your tax is reduced by all your withholdings, regardless of the source.

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you included the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7. If it was included, and no exclusion on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 8, then you do not need to amend, the IRS is automatically adjusting the returns.

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd.

You may request a tax transcript that would reflect if the IRS has made changes to your filed tax return. There are different types of transcripts, I recommend the Record of Account Transcript.
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Here is a link to check the exclusion amount you would be eligible.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs-topic-b-calculating-the-e...

I hope you find this helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I send you my W=2  forms that you did not receive with my Federal Tax form last March? The complete tax form was successfuly on or about March 24, 2021.

Who needs your W2 forms?   The IRS or state?  You don't send them to Turbo Tax.  Were they not included on your tax return you filed in March?  Then you need to do an Amended 1040X return to add them.

How to amend a 2020 return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies