turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only have 1600 MB of ram available Not been a before. Why now it has to hog the entire computer! I need some bell or whistle removed so I can install the program.

I just installed 2019 with no problem for a deceased relative. 2020 deluxe says doesn't meet minimum requirements. Looks like an arbitrary change. Cannot afford a new computer. Need a workaround.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I only have 1600 MB of ram available Not been a before. Why now it has to hog the entire computer! I need some bell or whistle removed so I can install the program.

6 Replies

Does the computer meet the minimum requirements - 

TurboTax minimum system requirements for Windows - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...
TurboTax minimum system requirements for Mac - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

TurboTax does not make a slimmed down version for people with tiny computers.

If you have a 2GB Windows 10 system, 2GB is really not enough for Windows 10.

4GB or (6GB for three slot systems) is the minimum for reasonable performance.

And, as you are learning, programs keep getting bigger, not smaller.

My computer meets and has met the minimum requirements for windows10 and for all Turbotax products for 30 years [even before it was Turbotax] The problem is that Turbotax does not meet the minimum requirements for a far more stable Linux system than Win10. No effort for running under a light Win10 WINE inside Ubuntu. Instead I have to run a full VirtrualBox Win10 emulator with a microsoft verified I own it windows 10 installed. So 2 Gib for Ubuntu, and 2 Gib for VirtrualBox Win10 on a laptop with 4 Gib of RAM except only 3.824 GiB is available for OS and Apps. The thing is that 2019 Turbotax installs and runs fine with the same 2 GiB RAM requirement. It is just 2020 Refuses to install announcing that it finds a little under 2 GiB unsatisfactory. So again the question of the arbitrary refusal to install when a year earlier product with the same minimum requirements installs without the "Not gonna do it" announcement and runs with no errors. Does Intuit really know how much RAM Turbotax consumes, or was there just picking a Round Number? If I have to return it, a note to the Intuit marketing department, Turbotax looses a 30 year customer. And as it is the Only Program for which I have to use VirtrualBox, I can say good by to the hassle of setting it up once a year. I am a Vet with a 200% of poverty income and mortgage and medical debts, so my 2011 laptop has to last.

4 GiB with what a 32 or 64-bit bus is not tiny: -- an IBM PC with an 8-bit bus with no disk drives and a cassette audio recorder connection; 16 KiB of RAM "all the memory you will ever need" is a tiny computer.

@luigiwriter 

LOL luigi, but it is not 1982 any more.

4GB is not really enough for Windows 10. 8GB is recommended as minimum.

If you are running in an emulator, all bets are off. You just ran out of wiggle room.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies