turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a full-time employee and my wife is self-employed

If I am full-time employed (W-2), and my wife is self-employed, and filing jointly, does my wife need to pay quarterly withholdings, even if I withhold enough on my paycheck using W-4 to cover roughly 100% of household tax liability? What about state income tax, and Self-employed tax for my wife's income; can all be included in W-4?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

your approach works!

Thanks for your reply! Do I need to add her Self-employed tax (Social Security Tax and Medicare) withholding to my W-4 too?
I mean is Self-Employed tax part of federal tax withholding?

I mean is Self-Employed tax part of federal tax withholding?

federal withholding on your wages, assuming you file jointly, can be applied to her income tax liability and her self-employment taxes.

your other option is to pay quarterly estimated tax payments to cover her share of the income taxes and her self-employment taxes.

you would be a little late on estimated taxes 1/4  was due 4/18/22 and 6/15/22 with 1/4 due 9/15/22 and 1/16/23

dmertz
Level 15

The self-employment tax on your wife's self-employment profit is part of the overall tax liability determined on your joint tax return to which your tax withholding is applied.

Increasing tax withholding for the remainder of the year is a far better approach than making late estimated tax payments.  Since, by default, tax withholding is treated as having been paid uniformly throughout the year, increasing tax withholding for the remainder of the year will reduce or eliminate the underpayment of taxes earlier in the year whereas making late estimated tax payments will not.  Just be sure to adjust your tax withholding again later if need be, particularly at the beginning of next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies