Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have used quick employer forms to generate and efile a 1099nec to the IRS. Do I need to file anything seperately to the state of california?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I have used quick employer forms to generate and efile a 1099nec to the IRS. Do I need to file anything seperately to the state of california?

Yes. Although California is one of the states that support the Combined Federal and State Filing Program, the IRS is not forwarding the necessary information to California for 1099-NEC forms. 

Per the FTB, a paper or electronic copy of the form 1099-NEC must be filed with FTB directly, even if you filed it with the IRS. For 2020, the due date is:

• February 28, 2021 for paper
  • March 31, 2021 for electronic submissions

For more information, please see the FTB website 1099-NEC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. Although California is one of the states that support the Combined Federal and State Filing Program, the IRS is not forwarding the necessary information to California for 1099-NEC forms. 

Per the FTB, a paper or electronic copy of the form 1099-NEC must be filed with FTB directly, even if you filed it with the IRS. For 2020, the due date is:

• February 28, 2021 for paper
  • March 31, 2021 for electronic submissions

For more information, please see the FTB website 1099-NEC

TimmyTimmy
Returning Member

Has this changed for tax year 2021 to be filed in 2022? I think form 1099-NEC that is filed with the IRS is now automatically sent to the state of California's Franchise Tax Board.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@TimmyTimmy

Yes - For the FTB Form 1099-NEC is now part of the Combined Federal State Filing (CF/SF) Program. For more information, go to IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program.

Use this link for California FTB Guidance:  California Guidance For Issuing Information Reports

@Cynthiad66 Just to confirm (since it's not mentioned in the FAQs), does Quick Employer Forms use the Combined Federal/State Filing Program to submit the data to the IRS, as this is the requirement mentioned by the CA FTB? 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  The program is administered by the IRS and California participates.   So, since Quick Employer Forms will file with the IRS, California will receive the data from the IRS.   It doesn't matter how you transmit your forms to the IRS; you can use any software that has the ability to file tax forms with the IRS.  

FTB Filing Guidelines 

@th123   Here are the forms, that if filed with the IRS, will be sent to participating states automatically - CA does participate.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies