turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

How come EVERY TIME I open my Turbo Tax to continue working on my return, I get a message for another [profanity] 185MB update? This is RIDICULOUS with this product?

Special thanks to SuperUser @macuser_22 for assistance!
*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

How come EVERY TIME I open my Turbo Tax to continue working on my return, I get a message for another [profanity] 185MB update? This is RIDICULOUS with this product?

ok thanks, I have 2 states and federal downloaded, so think I will finish my return & file, before I have to figure out where/how to get the downloads again, etc.

This is a year old post, but this usually happens when a preference of Applications support file has become damaged or corrupt.   The solution is to do a total uninstall of ALL associated files the  then empty the trash restart the Mac before re-installing.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2018 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

Empty the trash and restart the Mac.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

As stressful as this may be, please refrain from using profanity in this forum.

I did find a TurboTax FAQ that may prove helpful.  

"Troubleshoot for Mac updating issues"

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300415

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
philj333

I can appreciate how frustrating this program is to use. I rarely curse, but with Turbotax, while I don't swear online, I sure feel like doing so. The program's poorly made for users.

I have the same problem. If I do not download the full 220MG update, it will not access my return. I have never had this problem with the MAC version. What can be done about this.

I have TurboTax for Windows and also cannot access my tax files without updating TurboTax.  This is the the first year this is happening.  I want to see my tax files in the TurboTax version I used for the tax return!

Marie

I have always been able to open TT after I have filed without changing the underlying program but not with 2018. I don't want any program changes modifying what I filed. This is a new issue and I just want to use the program I purchased the way I purchased it. I should not be required to download an update after I file.  How do I do this?

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

I just want to be crystal clear. I have had this problem with TurboTax since 2013. Every single year. If I don't get notification that this has been fixed this year, I'm moving to another tax software package. It's rather sad, really because I've been using TurboTax since the first year it was released. I am tired of fighting it.

@litebkt wrote:

I just want to be crystal clear. I have had this problem with TurboTax since 2013. Every single year. If I don't get notification that this has been fixed this year, I'm moving to another tax software package. It's rather sad, really because I've been using TurboTax since the first year it was released. I am tired of fighting it.

You're commenting on a long, several-year-old thread, so I don't know exactly what problem you are talking about.

Turbotax is routinely updated every 1-2 weeks during the tax season, and then 1-2 times per month over the summer.  This happens for several reasons, including late-breaking tax law changes, program improvements, and bug fixes.  If you don't like it, then don't install Turbotax until April 7, and file your taxes at the last minute. (The program is always frozen the last two weeks before the filing deadline.)

[Pro tip: If you disconnect from the internet by unplugging your ethernet cable or turning off your Wifi before launching turbotax, you won't be prompted to update.  However, you won't be able to file unless you do at least one full round of updates before you file.]

If you are prompted to update the program every time you open it, then you probably have a problem with your Windows Registry, so that the program is either not correctly updating, or the update is not being registered.  You may need to completely uninstall the program and then reinstall.

Or, switch to the online version, which is also frequently updated but the updates are invisible to users. 

In Windows Desktop program you can set how to get updates. I set mine to always ask before updating.  So when I'm answering questions and need to open Turbo Tax I don't have to wait for it to update.  

How to change the Windows program Update Preferences settings

For Windows go up To Online - Updater Preferences

I'm not sure you understand my problem. The software REQUIRES an update every single time it is opened. I don't mind updates. But no one needs an update EVERY SINGLE TIME the software is opened. Yes the thread may be several years old. AND I HAVE HAD THIS VERY SAME PROBLEM EVERY STUPID YEAR.  That includes 2019.  I live in a rural area and big software downloads can take ALL DAY. This makes TurboTax useless on most occasions when I need to look back on past years taxes. 

I do a clean install and the software will ALWAYS require an update when I start it up. I can open any year's version and they all do the same thing. I can uninstall it and reinstall it. The same thing ALWAYs happens. I've about had it with product support. They don't have a clue.

I consider past versions of TruboTax records of what I filed and I NEVER update them. Doing so would corrupt my data. At least that is how I look at it. I have never had TurboTax fail to open. Well, I just tried it with 2019 and it was a bit more assertive about upgrading and would not start unless I did the upgrade but I would cancel the upgrade and the program opened without doing the upgrade.

Hope this helps.

@litebkt - The original question that started this thread was asking about a Mac.

A Mac that wants to update every time it is opened usually has corruption in the TurboTax preferences or Applications Support Folder.

That usually requires a total uninstall and reinstall of TurboTax, but try restarting the Mac first.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies