I have old turbotax files (.tax) that I would like to open. Besides having to buy old turbotax programs is there another way to gain access? thx

"Besides having to buy old turbotax programs is there another way to gain access?"

No, the files can only be opened in TurboTax.

....AND...if you don't already have the software installed and filly updated (including any states in your tax datafile), then you can only buy, install and properly update back to 2015 now.   

IF you attempt to buy or re-install and use 2014 or earlier...those won't work without the full updates, including the state you need...but those updates, and the state software is no longer available

If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk.