turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have made my estimated payments but received a notice of installment due. Why would that be?

I have made all three quarterly payments this year, but I receive a notice that another installment is due 12/31
"Your installment for deferred payment of the employer's share of Social Security tax (Cares Act Section 2302) is due.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have made my estimated payments but received a notice of installment due. Why would that be?

The CARES act was new for 2020. It has to do with paying the self employment tax if you had a Net Profit on Schedule C.

You need to pay it.  The self employment tax deferral was an optional benefit. It is also a deferral rather than forgiveness, so those amounts will eventually need to be repaid. Half of the deferred amount is due on December 31, 2021, and the other half is due on December 31, 2022.

Check if you have a Schedule 3 line 12e which goes to 1040 line 31.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The notice was for deferred Social Security payments from the 2020 tax return that was filed. 

The 2021 estimated tax payments you have made are for the 2021 tax return.

Go to this IRS website for how to pay the deferred taxes - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-self-employed-individuals-and-household-employers-repay-deferred-so...

The CARES act was new for 2020. It has to do with paying the self employment tax if you had a Net Profit on Schedule C.

You need to pay it.  The self employment tax deferral was an optional benefit. It is also a deferral rather than forgiveness, so those amounts will eventually need to be repaid. Half of the deferred amount is due on December 31, 2021, and the other half is due on December 31, 2022.

Check if you have a Schedule 3 line 12e which goes to 1040 line 31.

Thank you. That is very helpful, and I will check my return to verify the amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies