Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have downloaded TurboTax to my laptop and the step by step view is not showing the fields to enter the W2 info. Completely blank.

I've updated the program and my laptop using Win 10
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

I have downloaded TurboTax to my laptop and the step by step view is not showing the fields to enter the W2 info. Completely blank.

For this experience, please see this Help Article for further assistance.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried what you suggested and updated all video drivers and still the same.  Still blank on the Step by Step where you enter the W2 info.  Most other screens work just fine.  I had it happen on one other topic screen but I can't find that one currently.  But the W2 has not worked from the beginning.  Should I delete the program and reload it?  I don't want to do that unless it will fix this issue. 

@SteveBinTX 

Try again, but this time, when the screen seems to lock up, go up to the title bar with your cursor, grab it and move it around a bit  (This worked for me the one time I had a screen that wouldn't move on)

Post back if this works....might help others.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I tried that and it did not work.  Moved it all around and switched to different monitor.  (I use multiple monitors sometimes)  I've also tried it with just the laptop (external monitors detached).  

I think they rewrote the subroutine for that area this year  (a couple others were rewritten too). 

When I check the 2021 W-2 entry against the entry to that area on the 2020 desktop software...I can see that it's completely different,, and 2020 access to W-2 area is immediate.

Mine takes an unusually long time to start up with circling blue "Please Wait" notices the very first time in that section, and a couple blank screens that seem locked, but eventually move on.....but much faster in a later visit.

I wonder if going to Forms Mode, and creating a new W-2 that way  (Just to start up some "Test" W-2) then returning to the interview mode,  might somehow get things moving along in a more regular fashion.  You can always delete the Test W-2 later.   Yes, just grabbing at straws.  

Several others have reported similar lack-ups in various areas.   Also was thinking it might be related only to newer computers with SDD's and somehow the subroutine calls are getting blocked.

Could also try a forced manual software update to see if that clears things up (right now, this might be last week's) .  It does take a while to get fully installed (the last time I used one).

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Well, I'm using a Dell laptop that is 5 years old that has been upgraded to Win 10.  Works flawlessly for all my work programs.

I tried all the steps above, enter test W2 and the manual upgrade.  Neither worked.  

@TurboTax  This is very frustrating!

@SteveBinTX 

You're left with Customer Support on the phone.  ( supposedly, they can set up a screen share)

Not sure what they'll have you do...maybe uninstall and re-install, but that seems rash:

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Never got it to work on my primary laptop but installed it on another laptop and it worked fine.  Got my taxes done and now waiting on my refund.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We're happy that it worked for you. If you have questions, please feel free to ask them here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This bug is still there, I am having a similar issue on the 2022 forms this year. The Step by Step update form appears to be completely blank ( HP Pavilion with Windows) ... Painful to find tech support line, I guess this is all there is... If your not going to support the product, I will not be purchasing the product anymore. This has been very frustrating, the lack of ability to contact anyone who is interested in solving the problem. Then finding it was reported over a year ago, and the problem still exists... A bit difficult to trust the software/company when such a glaring error has persisted for so long. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies