turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have another tax return to file from 2019

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

So...another W-2.  You messed up.  ALL of your W-2's are supposed to  be on the same tax return.  

Filing before you have all of your information causes you a lot of aggravation that could be avoided if you just wait until you have everything first and then take your time preparing your return so you do not mess it up because of a rush to get a refund.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Do you really mean you just received another 2019 W-2?   Or do you mean you need to file another tax return  (Form 1040) for someone else--another family member, perhaps?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I i had a job for six month pf 2019 and the other six Months at another job so i have two w-2 forms 

So...another W-2.  You messed up.  ALL of your W-2's are supposed to  be on the same tax return.  

Filing before you have all of your information causes you a lot of aggravation that could be avoided if you just wait until you have everything first and then take your time preparing your return so you do not mess it up because of a rush to get a refund.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

I was trying to ad my second w-2 and accidentally did amended tax return and now on my state it says i owe $21 But on my home it still says im still earning? 

OK stop trying to fix anything on your federal return right now.  Do not click on anything that says "amend."  You cannot amend it yet.  If you changed anything at all, change it back and then leave it alone.  Back away from the keyboard.....

You cannot change anything while the return is in pending ---- and that is where it is right now.  It is sitting on a server, waiting until the IRS begins to accept/reject returns on January 27.  So wait until then.  You will get an email telling you if the return is accepted or rejected.  Post back then and we will help you with what you need to do next,

Thank you! 

waay1

Yes I just received another W-2 that I totally forgot about via the company that i'd worked for.. and thought I had filed already for this company..but I did received a confirmation saying the IRS accepted my federal and state tax return..can I fix this?

Williamssmoak50
Returning Member

I have filed and I got another tax return to file so please tell me what I need to do to file it

@Williamssmoak50

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

You mean you got another W2 or 1099?  Or you need to do another tax return for someone else?

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

@Kimnorrington65   A tax return for another person OR another W2 or 1099 form to enter into your return?

The Online version is only good for 1 return. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts. To do another return log out of your account and set up a new account and new user name and pay any fees again. That's why it's better to use the Desktop CD/Download program. The Desktop program can do more than 1 return and efile 5 for free.

How to start another return in the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies