Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

liliacruzr
Returning Member

I have amended a prior tax year

I have amended a prior tax year, Turbotax software tell me everything its okay, I printed the forms off the TurboTax amend, but I don't know If I have to sign and where to mail them! please help there's no instructions for this.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Save the return PDF with the worksheets and review the filing instruction page which will tell you where to send your signed form 1040X.  Look for a page that looks like this screenshot below ... do not just use the address in the screenshot ... you must use the correct one for your state. 

liliacruzr
Returning Member

The page says as the title:

Electronic Filing Instructions for your 2017 Federal Tax Return

and not Mail so Im confused

You can nor efile an Amended return or any prior year original returns.  Ignore the cover sheet.   Did it print out a 1040X Amended return and not a 1040 regular return?

Did you do the amended return right and get the 1040X?  It looks like this.  You sign on the bottom on page 2

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040x--2017.pdf

liliacruzr
Returning Member

I did click on the link provided and the form from the software looks like a regular 1040 and not a 1040X, now I never filed this tax return not even by E-file to begin with, so I don't know if this is causing a confusion. I'm trying to print and mail a prior tax that I wasn't able to submit for a refund. 

Now as I go in the software at the end only says:

Thank you for using TurboTax,

and it says EXIT TURBO TAX. 

I do have a FILE/Print option on top. But when I print I get regular what I've explained already. Which is not a 1040X.

Thank you for your help.

I'm clueless. 

So you never filed the original 2017 return?  You said you were doing an Amended return so we've been answering for Amended.  You only amend a return that was successfully filed.

If you are filing your actual 2017 return just print and mail it now, you can't efile it.  Sign on the bottom of page 2.

Where to mail federal paper returns

https://www.irs.gov/uac/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

Dont forget state.  Mail federal and state in separate envelopes to each place.  Get a tracking number from the post office so you know they received it.

liliacruzr
Returning Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I already did the steps. However I don't know where to mail them how do I know what the address needs to go?

Also do I need send original or copy of all my w2, 1099 etc along with the tax forms?

I posted the IRS link where to mail it.  You will have to go to your state's website to get their address.

Yes you need to attach your W2s and any 1099s that show withholding on them.  You can attach the original or a copy.  Just make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies