turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got an email from TurboTax@e.turbotax.inuit.com telling me to call 1-866-602-4279. Is this legit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

I got an email from TurboTax@e.turbotax.inuit.com telling me to call 1-866-602-4279. Is this legit?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602429

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
efneumann

Except for all the other threads on the same topic that say it is absolutely a scam.  How are we supposed to know who to trust?

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I got the same thing, but I can't find anything to verify this is a real number or email. It says to contact in 48 hours or the return will be filed. I havent filed yet and I have no idea if email is real or not. Ypur post being a while ago, what did you find out

Terry_L

I received the same security alert email yesterday and called TurboTax customer service today, 1/11/2021. TurboTax confirmed that the email is fraudulent. All the links in the email are legit and the scammers wanted people to call the toll free # @ [phone number removed]. The party on the other end will ask you for your info to verify yourself and that's how they steal your info. Note: I searched for a customer service # on TurboTax's website instead of calling the 1-866 # listed above. 

This is what the fraudulent email looked like:

Hi there,

You're using a different TurboTax account this year.
It's important that you contact us right away.

TurboTax Customer Support: 1-866-602-4279

We've noticed that someone attempted to fill out a tax return using your information with a different account.
We are holding the tax return for 48 hours to give you the opportunity to verify it's yours or stop it. If we don't hear from you within 48 hours, this return will be filed in accordance with IRS filing regulations. Learn more
Thanks,
The TurboTax Security Team

@Vamp7875  wrote:

I got the same thing, but I can't find anything to verify this is a real number or email. It says to contact in 48 hours or the return will be filed. I havent filed yet and I have no idea if email is real or not. Ypur post being a while ago, what did you find out

That can be a legitimate email.  turbotax will contact the account holder if another account tries to file with the same SSN.  The most common reason is you opened a new account this year and your old account was notified.  Sometimes it is a legit warning of identify theft.

The problem is that scammers can copy legitimate emails and use them for bad purposes.  To get a secure Turbotax phone number, use the contact page and ask for the security team.  By using the secure contact form, and making sure your address window has a padlock icon, you will know the number is correct.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

[phone number removed]...the number is legit. I received the same email,someone tried to use my SSN. When I called and I asked why I could not verify the phone number anywhere, Brittany guided me to log into the myturbo tax and proceeded to video chat with me via the website. It is an option you can request from the rep if it makes you feel more comfortable about aswering the questions relating to identity.

Yes, this is the best route to take. Just, please, make sure that your identity protection questions/answers are not considered general knowledge. For example, "where did you go to high school" or "what is your mother's maiden name"....

jlepone1

I called the customer service number from the website today to ask about this email address. I was told it’s fraudulent but literally every email I’ve ever gotten from TurboTax is from [email address removed]

So, I’ve been scammed this whole time? It doesn’t make sense. Some of the emails are notifications from the site letting me know I’ve accessed my returns. And others have been the actual notices that my returns were accepted. This has to be a legit TurboTax email, no?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please know we take security very serious. If that email did not come from us, and request your personal inforamtion, it could very well be a phishing scam. If you believe you are victim of a phishing scam please see this FAQ on How to avoid a phishing scam.

I called the TurboTax Security Team from the number listed here on this site and that email is a scam. The number is fraudulent. The agent walked me through all emails sent through my account and the email I got was not in there system. I just spent 40 mins on the phone with TurboTax Security team this evening and it is most definitely a phishing email. Do not trust it. If you are hesitant or leary, call the customer service number [phone number removed] and ask to speak with the Security Team. They will walk you through everything you need to do and see if any fraudulent activity has been associated with their sites/products. 

Bevb

Were there any other steps you had to take since the email was obviously fraudulent? I have been trying to get assistance with this and someone from TurboTax (hopefully) called me when I called the Customer Service number, but I couldn't understand anything she said. It sounded like she was in a well with several layers of cloth over her phone so I gave up after saying numerous times I couldn't hear her. At this point I'm still not certain whether or not I need to take any action. Fortunately my taxes have already been filed. Thanks.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Be sure to only use this resource to contact TurboTax: What is the TurboTax phone number?

For more information about who to contact to report this, see: Avoid phishing scams and spoofed sites.

@Bevb

Bevb

Thank you. I got the number off the site, so I believe it was correct. I also later found an email to send suspicious emails to, so I did that as well. I knew the email was a scam of some sort, but you always worry, especially when it looks like it came from TurboTax.

Manage cookies