Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get a monthly bonus every month that is taxed along with my hourly paycheck. They are taxed together, do I need to do anything differently on my tax return this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I get a monthly bonus every month that is taxed along with my hourly paycheck. They are taxed together, do I need to do anything differently on my tax return this year?

Nope.  It will all be included on your W2 you get.  

It's included in my total wages so how can I claim it on my w2 ? Am I going to owe taxes on all my bonuses since they were taxed together with my paycheck and not separately?

You get the W2 from your employer.  It will  be for the total of everything for the whole year.  Just enter the W2 exactly as shown into your return.  Box 1 is the total income they paid you.  Box 2 will be the total tax withholding they took out for both your pay and bonus.  

It is not separated out on your tax return.  You enter all your income and pay tax on the total income for the year.   Whether you get a refund or owe more tax depends on your total income and how much withholding was taken out and if you qualify for any credits.  You have to fill out your 1040 tax return to see how it ends up.  

So just enter the numbers in the boxes like I normally would then? Are bonuses taxed differently than regular income? 

@wwheat12 wrote:

So just enter the numbers in the boxes like I normally would then? Are bonuses taxed differently than regular income? 

Enter the W-2 as received.  A bonus is taxed just like normal wages.

No, a bonus is not taxed differently.  It is just part of your total regular income on your tax return.  Your employer may deduct a bonus at a different rate.  But that is only for the withholding on your paycheck.  But on your final 1040 tax return it's all taxed the same.  Then you get credit for the total withholding.  

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies