turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes already but received the 1099-G late and didnt file it. How do i file it for this year? Or can i file it next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I filed my taxes already but received the 1099-G late and didnt file it. How do i file it for this year? Or can i file it next year?

No. You cannot enter your 2020 1099-G on your 2021 tax return. 

If your 1099-G is from unemployment compensation, your return should be amended.

If your e-file is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return. To amend your return once it is no longer pending, please follow the directions on the page How do I amend my 2020 return?

A 1099-G could also be from a state tax refund. When you receive a refund, offset, or credit of state or local income tax, that amount appears in box 2 of a 1099-G form. 

In this case, you only need to amend your tax return and enter your 1099-G income if you took a federal deduction for paying those taxes in a prior year and that deduction reduced your federal taxes. This only applies to individuals with itemize their deductions on Schedule A. 

If you have determined that you need to amend your 2020 tax return, then you can enter your 1099-G once you started the amendment process in TurboTax. 

Please follow these instructions to enter a 1099-G: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-G with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  3. Select the Jump to 1099-G link in the search results. 
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

My federal return stated been accepted but state still pending and unfortunately i forgot to file my 1099-G form. On my screen I do not have the amend return which i did follow those steps provided below. What  should I do?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Wait.   Since your federal return was accepted, go ahead and wait until the IRS fully processes your tax return.   After you receive your refund, sign back in and file the amendment to add the 1099-G.   You have a couple of years to file the amendment so it is better to wait until all the kinks are worked out.   This is the first year that TurboTax will be e-filing amended returns.  

In the unlikely event that your state return gets rejected, you can re-file after you do the federal amendment.   If it gets accepted, just do the 2 amendments together after your original returns are processed.   @salisac21

I have a similar situation except theres a twist to it.

I was owed money from the IRS yet I owed money to the IRS and NYS. Due to the nature of the payment the IRS couldnt take what I owed by pandemic law but NYS had no trouble taking what I owed to them.

The IRS said they were sending me a check in the amount of $2317.69 but got intercepted by the NYS Dept of taxation for the amount of $1221.74. This left me with over $1000.00 that came to me personally.

The 1099-Misc states I received the whole $2317.69 amount but I didnt get that money like I stated.I Got something like $1050.83. I also received a Judgement satisfaction letter from NYS but is states I only paid $973[?]

Seeings I aleady filed my taxes on saturday and the 1099-MISC came today what do I need to do to straighten this out?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Unless you itemized your return and took a deduction for taxes, there is nothing you need to do.  Tax refunds are not taxable income.  The only exception to that is interest  received from the refund and if you previously took a deduction for an amount that was then refunded later. 

Dawn,

I filed my 2021 tax return and it was accepted by IRS. 
I elected to have federal taxes taken from my UI compensation weekly (the standard deduction.) I did not put my 1099-G information on my return. I live in Florida, no state taxes. Do I need to amend?

also, should I wait until my refund is disbursed to me? Will it be disbursed to me? Estimated disbursement date is February 16, still haven’t received.

thanks in advance

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@Wuk 1191 You should wait for your refund and it probably will be disbursed to you.

You may need to amend your return, but you should wait until you get your refund. It is possible the government will adjust your tax return to include the tax withheld as reported on your 1099-G form even though you didn't report it on your tax return. You need to know this to amend your return properly. 

It is less likely they will also include the unemployment income that you did not report, but it is possible they will adjust your return to account for it. So, wait until you get your refund and then prepare an amended return to account for any adjustments that were not made to your tax return.

Thanks very much for that response.

Moe1963
Returning Member

Received a 1099-g after I already filed my taxes what do I do

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Wait until the IRS processes your original return - they may fix it for you.   Once you get your refund and assuming they do not adjust it for you, then file an amendment.  Save these instructions.   How to amend (change or correct) a return you've already filed

You should wait until your original return is processed (you may not have to file the 1040X) but if you do have to file the amended return, do it before Oct so that you can e-file it.   If you do it after October, you will have to file it by mail.   

You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.   @Moe1963

MPD1
Returning Member

Hello @DawnC ,

I also forgot to include my 1099G form when filing my federal return last night. My federal return was accepted this morning even without the 1099G. Below are a few questions:

1. If the IRS fixes my return, accounting for 1099G, will they send me a new federal1040 form with the updated information?

2. If the IRS fixes my return, accounting for 1099G, do I still need to file an amended federal return?

3. I filed my federal return through another online tax service, planning to use TurboTax for state returns (CA, HI) only. If I also submit my federal return via TurboTax, this time with my 1099G, is there the potential it will be accepted and replace my federal return that has already been accepted via the other service (that I forgot to include my 1099G)?

Thank you for your help!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@MPD1  If the IRS adjusts your return to account for the change then you will receive a letter from the IRS letting you know that they have adjusted your refund or amount due to reflect the change that was made to your return.  Please keep in mind that this response may take up to 6 months because of the backlog at the IRS.

The IRS will not send you an adjusted 1040.  However, you can go to irs.gov and create an account (or log in if you already have one) and once the return has been adjusted a version of your adjusted return will appear in that online account.

If the IRS adjusts your return for you you do not need to file an amended return.

Once a return has been accepted electronically at the IRS from any source no return with that same social security number can be submitted electronically from any source unless it is an amended return.  

MPD1
Returning Member

@RobertB4444 If the actual amount of the federal refund I receive is different than the refund amount reflected on my 1040, then does this mean the IRS went ahead and made the adjustment and I will not need to take further action?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! This all helps me better understand the process.

Thanks again!

I'm filing my taxes this year and noticed I got a 1099-G for this tax year 2022 (which does not have all the boxes and numbers I need to file). I did try to claim but did not receive benefits in 2022 , but I do have legitimate 1099-G's from 2020 and 2021. Should I use those forms to fill out my taxes this year? Or just don't fill them out since they're not the correct year?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies