turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsbmall1

I file taxes at a free place last year. and she put the wrong filing status. how should i file this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I file taxes at a free place last year. and she put the wrong filing status. how should i file this year?

The IRS offers these 5 tax filing statuses:

• Single
  • Married filing jointly
  • Married filing separately
  • Head of household
  • Qualifying widow(er)

You may qualify for more than one tax filing status. For example, a single (unmarried) person isn't necessarily restricted to the single filing status. He or she may be able to file as head of household or qualifying widow(er), assuming those qualifications are met. But if he or she wasn't legally married as of December 31, 2019, they couldn't file their 2019 return as a married person.

Likewise, someone who was legally married as of December 31, 2019 could file as married jointly, married separately, or head of household (again, if he or she meets the qualifications). But they couldn't file as single or qualifying widow(er).

If more than one filing status applies to your particular situation, we'll choose the one that gives you the biggest tax break.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Use the correct filing status.  What should it be--are you Single, Married Filing Jointly, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er)  ??

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What filing status did she put down?  What should it be?  You should go back and have her amend your 2018 return.  You may get a refund.

Each year is separate so file this year right.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies