turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't understand why my tax return took so much time

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Please explain what that means.  And are you referring to time spent preparing the return, or did you mean to ask about a tax refund?   If  you are referring to a tax refund, have you received it?  How long is "a long time?"

I talk about the time , i filed about that because i filed my tax return until 29 january , but until right now i didn't get my " refund approval "

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Here's what you need to know about your refund: How long does it take for irs to approve you once they've ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@prodige1994 wrote:

I talk about the time , i filed about that because i filed my tax return until 29 january , but until right now i didn't get my " refund approval "

The IRS says 9 out of 10 filers who efile and choose direct deposit will get their refunds within 21 days. Some returns are processed fairly quickly, while others require additional processing due to specific items in the return. Some are pulled at random for more thorough investigation.   This time of year (in February) some filers will have an additional delay due to the PATH Act if they have EIC or ACTC credits in their return.  I mention a bit more about that in a NOTE at the end of this posting.

If you efiled, double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.
You can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.  You may have also gotten an email notification.

If that showed it was accepted, you can use the tool at the IRS website below to monitor the status of your Federal refund. 
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When using that tool, use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.
The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

NOTE: By law (the PATH Act), the IRS will not begin issuing refunds on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) until after February 15. So filers with those credits likely won't get their refunds until late February or in some cases, early March.

To track a state refund:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies