Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take for irs to approve you once they've accepted your taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Accepted means your tax return is now in the government's hands and has passed the initial inspection (your verification info is correct, dependents haven't already been claimed by someone else, etc.).

After acceptance, the next step is for the government to approve your refund.

First,  they look for things like back taxes and unpaid child support. If they find any debts, they'll offset (reduce) your refund to cover the outstanding amount. Once they are satisfied that you have no outstanding debts, they will approve and then issue your refund.

Think of the e-filing/refund process along the lines of applying for a job; although the employer (government tax agency) has received (accepted) your job application, they still have to review (approve) your application before they grant you an interview (refund).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What is the average time-frame until the status move from 'accepted' to 'approved'?  
JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

there isn't a way to predetermine that time, it varies

That is why it was asked what is  the AVERAGE time. The answer that it varies poor at best. Pull some data please 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS issues most refunds in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review. 

When will I get my IRS tax refund? - Community

It really depends on the factor of your taxes,  if your self employed,  have dependants other tax credits.  If you file single with no dependants and you owe nothing approval will be in just a few short days,  but with dependants and when you file it could take up to a week I do many peoples taxes and it does vary on a wide range of different things but with that being said let's just say up to about a week..  Just to give you a time frame.  😊

Kaps

I submitted on January 19 2020 and have 1 dependent. Yet it hasnt been approved yet just accepted. Could something be wrong? 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

We can't give you an exact date at this time. Refunds can be issued in less than 21 days, but there are cases where it can take longer to process.

TurboTax will only show the status of returns (not refunds), such as when the return is actually accepted. You would not be able to directly track the status of your refund from within your TurboTax account. TurboTax is not connected the IRS or state department(s) of revenue refund tracking tools.

TurboTax updates what stage your return is in and the IRS site updates when you can expect your refund:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect you refund. 

Once your tax return has been submitted, the most up to date information will come from the IRS.

It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to update. Until the IRS starts processing it on their own, you may not find record of it or the website may say that you have put in incorrect information when tracking your federal refund. As your return moves through the system, the status of it will be updated accordingly. Continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund?  tool for updates. 

In statistics, an average is defined as the number that measures the central tendency of a given set of numbers. Why won't you just answer the question asked instead of giving excuses of why you can't answer a different question?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Githknight Unfortunately, we do not have access to when the IRS will issue the refund.  To get that information, you would need to utilize the IRS Where's my Refund? tool. The tool is updated daily (usually in the overnight hours) so you don’t need to check more often.

ErnestATL

So i put in my tax retuen in 5 days ago and it still have not been appoved should i be worried I have no dependece or anything!

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@ErnestATL it can take up to 21 days before your status changes from accepted to approved. For more information, visit: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is...

Every tax frame I’ve seen said that if you were accepted by February 24th that they should be releasing funds by March 6th yet mine still hasn’t changed to approved yet. I have no dependents, and no other issues 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Richardm6677  Although most refunds are processed within 21 days of acceptance, some returns require additional review which causes a delay in processing. Please see Why do some refunds take longer than others? for more information. 

If it has been over 21 days since your tax return has been accepted, please see What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies