Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wjkaye061

I don't have account so that my stimulus check can go there i need to set one up

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I don't have account so that my stimulus check can go there i need to set one up

For those tax filers who have not yet filed a 2019 tax return, TurboTax recommends that they file their 2019 tax return now to get their tax refund and stimulus check quickly. This will ensure that the IRS has the most current tax filing and direct deposit information, which they will use to determine individual stimulus check amounts.

If you will be receiving a stimulus check but you have not filed taxes in 2018 or 2019, the TurboTax Stimulus Registration product was designed to help millions easily file a minimum tax return with the IRS.  The tax return will have the information needed to determine stimulus eligibility.

If you have filed taxes in 2018 or 2019 but want to change your direct deposit information for the stimulus check, see this statement in this TurboTax Help.

“In the coming weeks, the Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for you to provide your banking information to the IRS online so that you can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.”

This portal is not yet available. 

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What about people who HAVE filed a tax return and owe the IRS? The option to input direct deposit information doesn't show up. The portal that turbo tax has isn't for these type of people.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

These links may help explain and guide you through the process.

The free TurboTax Stimulus Registration product is designed to help you register with the IRS if you’re not required to file a tax return, to get your stimulus money.

The product is only for people who normally don’t need to file a return.

The product doesn’t work if you:

• Already filed your taxes with TurboTax and need to add/update your direct deposit info.
  • Filed your taxes with someone else.

From <https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/who-can-use-the-turbotax-stimulus-registration-pro...>

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/ link to stimulus registration (SR).  It is very important that you uses this link that says register now if you don't need to file taxes this year.  Otherwise, you will not be able to E-file a zero return. It also has the calculator.

The IRS says it is working on developing a web-based system for people to give the government their direct-deposit information. Keep checking www.irs.gov/coronavirus for more details on this.

The IRS is in the process of creating a site

If you only want to change your Direct Deposit Information

The Treasury is expected to shortly announce an online portal where direct deposit information can be supplied to the IRS. Here is what you should do: 

Go to  http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know to see if they have set up the online portal. (This article will be updated with the web address once it’s available.)

kmarquart
Returning Member

what about people who OWE the IRS, and paid by check the last two years? There is no portal or way for them to give the IRS their direct deposit information.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

You will need to wait for the Treasury to set up the web portal for you to enter the banking information. If you did not have a refund with Direct Deposit, the IRS does not have your banking information. 

"In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."

@kmarquart

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies