turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't have a 1095-A form but TurboTax won't let me proceed without it

I don't have a 1095-A form as I didn't have the Affordable Care Act insurance, instead I have a 1095-C as my insurance was provided by my employer. However, TurboTax will not let me file my taxes until I enter information related to this form. I went back to see if its popping up from something I clicked on earlier, but don't see any questions regarding health insurance except maybe for medical expenses, which I have selected $0 for. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't have a 1095-A form but TurboTax won't let me proceed without it

To enter your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

Answer NO when asked if you have a Form 1095-A.  Or delete the Form 1095-A if listed.

If that does not solve the issue -

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on Delete a form

Delete the Form 1095-A and the Form 8962 (if shown)

When I go to delete form 1095-A or 8962 neither of those are there but it will also not let me click the no I don’t have these forms it automatically changes it back to “Yes” 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you have e-filed your return and gotten an IRS rejection code F8962-070, this is because they have information from Healthcare.gov about Marketplace insurance and are looking for a 1095-A on your return to match their records. This might be because you or someone on your return began an application for insurance but did not actually enroll or for some reason Healthcare.gov has something connected to a social security number on your return. Forms 1095-B and 1095-C do not need to be filed and should be kept with your tax records. Please do not enter their information into TurboTax.

When our interview section Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) for the Marketplace insurance reaches the screen Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? it will default to "Yes" If you select "No" and Continue, it will not generate any Form 8962 information into your return. If you come back, it will default to "Yes" again, but it remained the "No" you selected until the time you came back into the area. This is as it should be.

If you have already checked online at Healthcare.gov for 1095-A information and do not find what you need, you may wish to call them and see if there is any reason they would have told the IRS to expect a Form 1095-A.  You may reach them at:

1-800-318-2596

(TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

Once you have resolved the Healthcare.gov information, the IRS should accept your e-file. In the past, they would accept the e-file but then route the returns with Marketplace questions for special processing that caused significant delays. This way the issue can be addressed and your e-file should not be further delayed after it is accepted.

For more information, please see this TurboTax Help article  IRS rejection code F8962-070

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JulieC14
Expert Alumni

@Kaitykitty   In addition to the information provided above, we would like to take a deeper look at this. However, we need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the  directions below:

TurboTax Online:

1. Sign into your online account.
  2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left-hand side of the screen. 
  3. A drop-down will appear. Select Tools  
  4. On the pop-up screen, click on “Share my file with agent.”
  5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
  6. Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.

Thank you!  

Did you have a 1095-A on the 2020 return ?   If so and you transferred the prior year info into the 2021 program a shell 1095-A could be your issue.  Return to the 1095-A entry section and this time say  YES to you have a form so you can get to the next page ... if there is a shell form there DELETE it and then say NO to move on. 

Katy850
Returning Member

Hi!! i dont have a 1095-A form

Katy850
Returning Member

hi

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You don’t provide any context for your comment -- please clarify.

Did you receive coverage from the Marketplace and didn’t receive a Form 1095-A?  Or, did you not have Marketplace coverage, and the program is asking you for Marketplace information?

If it’s the first case, you can find your Form 1095-A online.  To do this:

1. Log in to your HealthCare.gov account at Log In | HealthCare.gov

2. Under Your Existing Applications, select your 2021 application — not your 2022 application.

3. Select Tax Forms from the menu on the left.

4. Download all 1095-As shown on the screen.

If you still can’t find it, call the Marketplace Call Center at the number on the Contact Us | HealthCare.gov page.

Please see the TurboTax Help article What if I don't have or lost my 1095-A? for guidance.

@Katy850

the original poster DID provide the context, he had employer provided healthcare coverage.

Just like a 100 million ither people. 

Turnbo tax should mention on that page explicitly which choice to make yes/no for people with employer provided healthcare insurance.

Leonard99

I have the same situation. I didn't get a 1095-A. I got a 1095-C. It's confusing in TT.

Just check - No I don't have a 1095-A - because you don't. Then you can proceed.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The page only asks about Form 1095-A.   If you have employer based coverage, you may receive a 1095-C, but an employer will never give you a 1095-A.   Only forms 1095-A get entered into TurboTax.   If you have a 1095-B or 1095-C, keep it with your federal tax records.    There are a few states that require information from your 1095-B or 1095-C but those would be handled on the state return.   

If you are sure you don't have a 1095-A and need to e-file, there is a workaround available, click here.  

@buenoshun

D2Pierce9
Returning Member

I had health insurance provided by my parents. Three months were on an ACA Plan and the rest on a group plan they had for their employees.  How do I complete my return?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on whether you are claimed as a dependent on their tax return or not. 

If your parents will claim you as a dependent, just be sure to check the box to show that when you start your return. If you are a dependent, you don't have to report anything about the ACA insurance. 

If you are not claimed as dependent, you will need to get a copy of the 1095-A showing your ACA insurance information. You don't need to report anything about the other health insurance. 

If you are the only one shown on the 1095-A, you can report the figures as they are on the form.

If more than one person is listed in Part II, you will need to divide the figures in Part III by the number of people on the policy. 

For example, if there are four people listed in Part II, you will divide each figure by 4 and enter it into the corresponding box in the tax program. 

slhenchal

I have Medica Health Insurance. I don't pay a monthly fee. How do I proceed on my taxes if I have no 1095-A form?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies