Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't have a 1095-A form but TurboTax won't let me proceed without it

Can you please confirm that you've logged into a Marketplace account or called the Marketplace to confirm that none of the SSN listed on your tax return had marketplace insurance at ANY time during the year and there is NO 1095-A that was or will be issued?

There are a couple of reasons why this can happen.  Please try these workarounds.  The first will clear the form.  From time to time it will come back.  Then use the second alternative.

1.    On the menu bar on the left that shows.

1.    My Info

2.    Federal

3.    State

4.    Review

5.    File

2.    Select Tax Tools

3.    On the drop-down select Tools

4.    On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form

5.    This will give you all of the forms in your return

6.    Scroll down to the form you want to delete

7.    Select the Form

8.    Click on Delete.

Always use extreme caution when deleting your tax return.  

There could be unintended consequences.

The IRS is rejecting returns the return because they believe you or someone on your return had insurance through the marketplace. If you did have insurance through the marketplace in 2020, you may still just be on their list.

The workaround is to enter $1 for the 1095-A.  This will not affect anything on your return but having the form there may get the IRS to accept your return.  

To do this take the following steps: 

·       Click Deductions and Credits

·       Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More

·       Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA

·       As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  

·       If you did NOT, click YES anyway.

·       Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and Policy number.

·       Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP

·       Walk through to the end and submit your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
holofuzion
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't have a 1095-A form but TurboTax won't let me proceed without it

im currently having the same issue and it is ridiculous that they havent fixed this, so stupid

holofuzion
Returning Member

Why cant i delete the form then have it permanently stay on "NO" I do not have a 1095-a or any type of health insurance. No matter what I do, I cannot get this to select no, it just keeps going to default yes. I tried deleting the forms and everything else. Please help!!!!

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

There are a couple of reasons why this can happen.  Please try these workarounds.  The first will clear the form.  From time to time it will come back.  Then use the second alternative.

On the menu bar on the left that shows.

1. My Info
  2. Federal
  3. State
  4. Review
  5. File
  6. Select Tax Tools
  7. On the drop-down select Tools
  8. In the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  9. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  10. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  11. Select the Form
  12. Click on Delete.
  13. Always use extreme caution when deleting your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences.

The IRS is rejecting returns because they believe you or someone on your return had insurance through the marketplace. If you did have insurance through the marketplace in 2020, you may still just be on their list.

The workaround is to enter $1 for the 1095-A.  This will not affect anything on your return but having the form there may get the IRS to accept your return.  

To do this take the following steps: 

1.  Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More
  3.  Click Start or Revisit next to the ACA
  4. As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  
  5.  If you did NOT, click YES anyway.
  6.  Enter 0's for the Marketplace identifier and Policy number.
  7. Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP
  8.  Walkthrough to the end and submit your return. 
Mason1234

This does not work for me. It keeps putting that I have the form when I don't. No mater how many times i delete it and file it still says it is the Please help

Jeff, TTax says if you don't have a 1095A because you had another type of plan  provided by business or paid insurance, you can disregard the question about the 1095A. go back and read the questions and redo the entries. You'll be fine

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Are you being rejected or is this an error before you file?

Are there any legal consequences for entering information into the form like this? 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, there are no legal consequences for using a work around of entering $1 on your form.  This is something the IRS has stated to do in other situations.  It does not have any affect on your actual return.  This is mostly for programming issues to allow the system to see a number and the form and allow your return to be accepted by the IRS. 

Do not enter anything more than $1.

Thank you!! This worked for me and my tax return was finally accepted. Has anyone had the IRS audit them for doing this or withhold their refund? Or is it pretty straight forward from here and I should still expect to receive a tax refund within 21 days? 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It is always possible that there has been an error with social security numbers and the IRS thinks that you had a 1095-A because of someone's mix up.  If that is the case then there could be a delay in the whole process.  If, however, it was just a computer error and the $1 got the return to go through properly then there is no problem and you should see the refund in around 21 days.  Just keep an eye on the refund tracker and see what it says and you'll be good.

@Casper88 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies