turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ssuptain
Returning Member

I can't import my prior year taxes

I've used TurboTax for many years and never had a problem importing the prior year taxes.  This year, when I select my prior year tax file and select Transfer Return, it acts like it is going to do something (spinner spins) and then it just stops without giving any error.  It doesn't import anything because if I move on, it starts asking me basic personal info questions.  Is there a known bug for the 2020 tax year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You may need to clear your cache and cookies. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and try entering your information again. You may also want to change browsers, for example, if you are using Chrome, try switching to Firefox.

In addition to clearing your cache and cookies, you want to make sure your operating systems are up-to-date as well.

Please click the following links to learn more:

Using Windows Update to keep your system up-to-date

How to update Mac OS X

If you still continue to have the same problem, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ssuptain
Returning Member

Thanks!  The root issue ended up being that my TurboTax file was on Onedrive and wasn't fully downloaded to my computer.  I was seeing the file pointer on my computer rather than the fully downloaded file.  Unfortunately, there was no error message from Turbotax indicating a file problem.  But, when I went to open it in my prior version of Turbotax, I realized what was going on.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies