Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mleebengel
Returning Member

I am required to provide a 'Payer's Federal EIN' for a 1099-NEC I never received - I work for the State and always just receive a yearly W2

I am ready to file my 2020 taxes, but there is one thing that needs my review before submitting. It's asking for 'Payer's federal EIN' for a 1099-NEC Worksheet for some reason. I work for the State of Connecticut and filed my W2. I've never received a 1099-NEC before and have no idea why it's asking for this information. I filled in the 'Employer Name' as "Not Applicable" hoping that would help, but it still requires me to provide a EIN before allowing me to submit my taxes. Please provide me guidance on how to proceed. Thank you so much for your time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I am required to provide a 'Payer's Federal EIN' for a 1099-NEC I never received - I work for the State and always just receive a yearly W2

You can just delete the 1099-NEC form by following these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the following link to assist you with this message.

Remove 1099 - NEC

Form 1099-NEC is new in 2020 and is used to report other self-employment income if you were working as a contractor and not as an employee.  This form would not apply to you as you were employed as an employee.

What is Form 1099-NEC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mleebengel
Returning Member

I followed your advice and selected the review tab, then tried to 'proceed through the screens' but cannot get passed the "Schedule C: 1099-NEC" which requires me to input an answer in 'Who paid you (Payer)' as well as the 'payer's federal ID number.' (Again, I have never received a 1099-NEC) If I back out of that and simply click 'Continue' in the 'completecheck' screen, it reads that "We still have a couple details to button up." I cannot find the screen titled "Delete Confirmation for Form 1099-NEC." Please provide more guidance on how to proceed. Thanks so much for helping thus far! 

mleebengel
Returning Member

It is now allowing me to select my husband for the "This 1099-NEC is for:" section. This makes more sense as he is self-employed. However, he only received a 1099-K form and has filed that as his entire earnings were listed there. There is no 'Payer' unless he should put PayPal as that is the third-party he receives payments for his service through. I don't know what he would put for the 'Payer's Federal ID number' though. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can just delete the 1099-NEC form by following these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The Form 1099-NEC was reintroduced for nonemployee compensation in 2020.  It's causing a few difficulties randomly. 

You should delete the Form 1099-NEC since your husband doesn't receive one. A Form 1099-K does not get entered into the return, the income is entered in full on the Schedule C (self employment) as I'm sure you already know.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies