turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am on Review. I added an 1099-NEC under self employing and getting missing "Link to Schedule C" error. Is says double click in form but i can do nothing. Orphaned. Help

I removed and re-added again to no avail. This is a carry over form last year as I know the forms changed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

I am on Review. I added an 1099-NEC under self employing and getting missing "Link to Schedule C" error. Is says double click in form but i can do nothing. Orphaned. Help

This is happening to me too! Upon review it asks for schedule C so I upgraded to Self Employment version, added the expenses and it is still asking for schedule C link. So frustrating! TT please help! Seems like there are many unanswered questions for people dealing with this issue. 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I have posted this thread where TurboTax Moderators will see it later today.  Would either of your be willing to post a screenshot of what you're seeing in Review?  (Of course, no personal info in the screenshot, please.)  This is often helpful when investigating an issue.

Thanks, and sorry for your difficulty.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Optional work around ... DON"T use the 1099 entry section ... delete it from there and enter your total annual income in the next OTHER income section of the Sch C interview ... this will not change what the IRS sees on the Sch C and is perfectly legal ...  

Sch C  income screen.PNG

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@jay_chumley @amof0620  I'm linking you to another question that has an answer offered by a TT Expert.  See if the answer solves your issue.

By the way, this issue has been reported to TurboTax Moderators for investigation.  

I am done filling out my return and on my 1099-nec... (intuit.com)

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thanks for the link. I have done that process, several times, to no avail. I deleted what I had and tried again several times with the same result.

Thanks for the direction. I removed what I had and added that back. I got the same result.

Here is a screen grab of what I am seeing.  checkEntry.jpg

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Thanks, @jay_chumley .  Is the double-click option functional?  Can you double-click on the words "Schedule C" to link it?

What I get from this is that you haven't yet set up your "Business" that is specific to this 1099-NEC income.  The instructions on that page tell you to go to the "Federal" tab,  then "Income and Expenses", then "Income from 1099-NEC" to properly set up this business in the TT program.

Is this 1099-NEC (since it's new this year) for income that you formerly had a Schedule C for, but that the income was reported on a 1099-MISC?

Thanks for your help Kat. I tried clicking, double clicking, typing, in Chrome, Firefox, Safari to no avail.  My new form is a 1099-NEC. I did have a Schedule C carried over from last year for this same work that was created with a 1099-MISC last year. Even if I delete all of the Self-employment income options I still get this error. I think you are on to the root issue though, carry over data done last year as Schedule C / 1099-MISC. I have gone through and verified all of the business data and keep getting stuck on a screen I can't enter data for.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@jay_chumley I know TT is working on this, but it's driving me nuts.  🙄

Sorry if I'm being redundant:

BEFORE YOU DO THIS, check to see if you have any carryover business losses that would apply to this year's return.  I've prepared my husband's Schedule C for years, but have never had a business loss, so I have no experience with that.

Have you deleted the Schedule C that transferred over from last year?  You can do that by using the instructions below:

How do I delete a prior-year Schedule C business that transferred over? 

I think you may also have to delete your business profile entirely and start fresh.  Create your new business profile, then select THAT new business profile to link to the new 1099-NEC.

Maybe this will solve the problem?  Fingers crossed.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@jay_chumley @amof0620   Hold up.  I've just learned that the TurboTax notice I'm linking below has been created.  Use it to sign up for notification of when the issue has been resolved.

Why can not link my 1099-NEC in TurboTax Online? (intuit.com)

I filed schedule C last year but am not this year. Review won't allow me to progress until I complete the 1099 NEC.  I deleted the 2019 schedule C but it is still prompting me to complete the info.  Not only that, it's asking me to enter my SPOUSE'S 1099 NEC and I have never been married.  I've been filing single since I was 16 and I'm 45 now.  It's a technical problem for sure.  Someone at TurboTax called me and I shared my screen.  She was asking me to complete fake information in forms just to bypass them, so I asked if she could contact technical support.  I was eventually transferred to Ernest, who stated he was a supervisor.  I explained what was happening and the call went silent.  He is not responding. I put my phone on speaker in case he comes back.  I am 40 minutes into phone calls at this point.   Oh the call just disconnected.  Great customer experience.

Thanks for your efforts Kat. That noted issue is exactly it. I have no losses carried over, and I did delete everything under self-employment all together. just a bug that I hope gets fixed soon. Thank you!

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@jay_chumley My pleasure.  So sorry I couldn't help.  Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies