turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rpella

I am not receiving the $10,200 deduction for unemployment. The full amount I received (12,150k) is being included in my AGI.

The deduction is visible on schedule 1, however, it takes the $12.150 - $10,200 deduction and adds the difference ($1950) on top of the unemployment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I am not receiving the $10,200 deduction for unemployment. The full amount I received (12,150k) is being included in my AGI.

Look again ... the sch 1 shows the total unemployment and the UCE reduction and the net is added to the form 1040.  Where are you seeing the unemployment listed again ???  

rpella

The unemployment is being included as part of my wages on line 1. Then the schedule 1 takes the unemployment total ($12150) and subtracting the $10,200, equating = $1950. This amount is input on line 8. Basically, I get taxed for the unemployment total (as my wages), then an additional $1950. This is clearly an error in the software. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Unemployment compensation should not be part of your wages on Line 1.  If it is, then it is somehow entered into TurboTax twice.  Only items entered in the section for W-2 income, foreign earned income, and a few other items should be part of this line.  Unemployment compensation is reported on Schedule 1, Line 7, and then transferred to Line 8 of Form 1040.

Please return to the section for Form W-2 in TurboTax to be sure your unemployment compensation is not entered here.  Delete it if it is.  Then double-check the entries here and the number on Line 1

There are no known issues with unemployment income being reported on Line 1.  

If you believe that this is happening in your case after reviewing these areas, please let us know so that we can provide instructions for you to send us a special data file to further assist trouble shooting.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rpella

I just spent two hours on the phone with Turbo Tax support. They had me "troubleshoot" by having me delete and reenter my w2s and 1099G, updating windows, and deleting my cookies... 🙄 It did not correct the issue. The unemployment is still included in line 1. They said I should try calling and asking for a tax expert tomorrow. ....

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I would like to try to also assist with further troubleshooting.  If you can leave your return as is (with the Line 1 showing the Unemployment IN) and then follow these steps, I will take a look and see what I can discover for you:

1. Login to TurboTax and continue to any screen of your tax return. 
  2. Click on Tax Tools in the menu on the left.
  3. Click on Tools.
  4. In the box that pops up select "Send File to Agent".
  5. Write down the six digit code that pops up and post it back here on this thread.  

This code will allow me to see what is happening to the data in your file, without seeing any of your personal information (name, social security number, address, etc.) 

From here I can hopefully find a solution or explanation and also, if there is a program error, this is the first step to getting that corrected.

Thank you! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rpella

Hello,

I was getting help from the CPA with Turbo tax. He explained that it is actually scholarship income (not unemployment). I am getting $12,180 scholarship funds which are increasing my taxable income by that amount. However, as far as I can tell this still an error because I have my tuition payments far exceed that ($21,180). For some reason, the $12,180 scholarship is increasing my taxable income. Bill suggested I simply make the manual calculation only input the difference ($9,460). My concern is that making my own adjustment and not reporting the full amount will make me vulnerable to a proposed assessment. I would absolutely appreciate if you looked at it. 

rpella

I sent the report in. 

rpella

I input the same figures in HR Block online and it is correctly deducting the scholarship income from the tuition paid, thus not increasing my taxable income. This appears to affirm the error in TurboTax calculations. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies