turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am not a qualifying widow

My husband passed away in March 2022.  We do not have any kids so I am not a qualifying widow.   

Next year in 2023 when I do my taxes, this Turbo tax support group says that I need to file a joint tax return for the time that my husband was alive (January 2022 to March 2022)  and a single tax return for the time I was single (which is March 2022 through December 2022). 

So how do I do that using turbo tax?  Won't one return cancel out the other since it would be under my tax id?  Do I buy two online returns??? 

Thank you!!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Do not know who you spoke with but there is no way to divide your filing status on a tax return between married and single.  The information you received was grossly incorrect.

On your 2022 tax return that you file in 2023 your filing status would be Married Filing Jointly since your spouse passed in 2022.

On your 2023 tax return that you file in 2024, assuming that you do not remarry, your filing status would be Single.

This is a public forum and sometimes answers are wrong.  File all of 2022 MFJ.  After 2022 file single.

Thank you!  So I do not have to file a separate final return for my spouse even though I am not a "qualifying widow"?   Just one return will be sufficient?  

@Evergreen50 that is correct, for 2022 you file joint on one return as you normally would.  Both you and your deceased spouse are listed just like you always did it. 

In 2023 tax year, you filing status is Single.

The IRS works in full years..... so when a child is born they are part of the family for the 'full year"; likewise when someone passes, they are part of the family for the 'full year'. 

Thank you all for the great answers! Really appreciate it.

Very sorry for your loss.  For the year  (2022) that your spouse died, you can still file a joint return.  That way, you will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $25,900 (+ $1400 for each spouse 65 or older) which will lower the amount of income you are taxed on.

In My Info, you will need to indicate that your spouse died. When his name is in My Info,  there is a screen early in the interview that asks "Do any of these apply to [name] ?’” where you will do that, and then a drop down will appear where you can enter the date he passed.

Post back if you need further help.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-planning-2/tax-implications-for-taxpayers-who-have-lost-a-spous...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for the condolences. This has been a rough year.  

I really appreciate your information. Very helpful!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies