turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am getting an error with my TC-40W payer id and I am not given the option to fix it. It will not let me file without fixing it. It is the 14 character payer id

I double checked the number and it will not give me the option to change this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

I am getting an error with my TC-40W payer id and I am not given the option to fix it. It will not let me file without fixing it. It is the 14 character payer id

So I assume you are a Utah filer.

The TC-40W Payer ID has to be 14 characters long (without hyphens) and ends with wth (included in the 14 characters).

So if you are entering it correctly like that, but it's still producing an error, here's what a fellow user reported worked for him:

The following is strictly anecdotal, so I can't guarantee it works for everyone.  That user said he went back and entered his W-2 (or 1099) manually and used lower-case letters for the wth instead of capitals WTH, and that it took it OK with the lower case.   He also said that on printed copies of his return, it printed out in capitals.  

@ SteamTrain   Have you seen any other Utah users with this issue report if this trick worked for them or not?

@mesquitebean 

I've been mentioning it too.....but no one has replied that it really worked, or not, for them.  Had someone else who eventually found a missing digit on one of their forms...another said they hadn't entered the number on their Unemployment for that had UT taxes withheld ... but didn't say whether they use upper or lower case.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Just noticed a reply that indicated Lower case worked for them:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/re-utah-state-form-isn-t-accepting-the-14-d...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
angel643

yes I used lower case on all my w2 and 1099s after battling it out and it worked putting wth lower case on all forms 

P Dilly

I tried this, went into my wages and income in federal, changed it from uppercase WTH to lowercase, and I was able to efile. It's kinda ridiculous that this tiniest of all issues is the problem, and that the system isn't able to detect it, but it WORKED!! its a freaking miracle! hope it works for everyone else that tries this!

Changing the WTH to lower case worked for my user

Since it's [derogatory language removed ] Utah maybe they're afraid "WTH" is to close to "****"?
😉

@pfranklin10271967 wrote:

Changing the WTH to lower case worked for my user

It's an odd solution, but that is indeed the maneuver that has allowed many Utah users to proceed to efile.   So congratulations, and thanks for reporting your results.

zauggj

It worked for me to go back through my W2's and change the capital WTH at the end to a lowercase wth. 

daikirai

Changing the WTH to lowercase(wth) worked for me.

jshaw11
Returning Member

I was stuck too, I am an expert.  I found a fix--instead of simply editing the WTH to wth, just DELETE the whole state line in the W2 form.  Then I ran a review to make sure return was error free, it was.  Next I went back to the W2 form and re-entered the state line replacing the last part of the state ID "WTH"" with "wth", it worked and the return is error free.

Cory444

I've checked everything a dozen times, entered the numbers, deleted them, started over and entered the lowercase wht. NOTHING WORKS. I HATE TURBOTAX! The federal part of the program works fine, but it's as though the whole Utah part is an ill-conceived afterthought. Did I mention that I HATE TURBOTAX!

@ Cory444 wrote:

I've checked everything a dozen times, entered the numbers, deleted them, started over and entered the lowercase wht. NOTHING WORKS. I HATE TURBOTAX! The federal part of the program works fine, but it's as though the whole Utah part is an ill-conceived afterthought. Did I mention that I HATE TURBOTAX!

Sorry you're having trouble.  Lower case fixes it for many, but I have no idea why it doesn't for you.

By the way, it's "wth" not "wht."   You said "wht" above in your comment, but perhaps you simply mistyped when you posted the above.   NOTE:  A mineral production withholding ID number ends in "wmp."

The Utah Payer withholding ID number must be 14 digits--11 digits plus wth (or wmp if mineral production withholding.)  No hyphens/dashes.  Be sure to enter it correctly on all W-2s and 1099s that have a Payer withholding ID number.

Otherwise, here's how to reach the folks at TurboTax Customer Support:

If you are using a paid edition (PLUS or higher), you have phone support.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or you can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

If you are using Free Edition, phone support is not included unless you upgrade to PLUS for a fee.  But you can contact a TurboTax Support agent for free directly via messaging at Twitter or Facebook.

https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
or
https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

Tried a simpler variation of the recommended fix.  Went into the W-2 and just changed the WTH to lower case without re-entering the W-2.  Worked like a charm.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies