turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already submitted my return in Feb . They want my DD214 form . I have it but don't know where to submit it . All phone calls have been a fail .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I already submitted my return in Feb . They want my DD214 form . I have it but don't know where to submit it . All phone calls have been a fail .

Why would anyone want a DD 214 for a tax return? Is this some state tax benefit for veterans? You will need to give us more information.

They need proof that he served . They sent a letter asking for his military proof ( I guess a one time thing ) . So we can get the tax credit for him serving . 

@annienginny wrote:

They need proof that he served . They sent a letter asking for his military proof ( I guess a one time thing ) . So we can get the tax credit for him serving . 

Which state is asking for the DD214?

New Jersey 

The other question I should have asked is, how do you know you need a DD 214?  If they sent a letter, it should have instructions on what address to mail the DD214 to.  

This web page shows an online form to upload the DD214 and an application, and it also gives a mailing address.  

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/military/vetexemption.shtml

Be aware the veterans exemption only applies to the veteran, it does not transfer to a surviving spouse or dependents.  

I am not comfortable mailing such a private form . I tried calling to upload it directly to the state office but the call was unsuccessful . I don't know if I attached it to my turbo tax that it would find its way to my return that was already submitted. Anyway thank you all for your help . 

On this form it ask for PO Box and none of them match my letter they sent . That is one of the reasons I didn't submit it this way . This is what I wanted to do .

@annienginny wrote:

I am not comfortable mailing such a private form . I tried calling to upload it directly to the state office but the call was unsuccessful . I don't know if I attached it to my turbo tax that it would find its way to my return that was already submitted. Anyway thank you all for your help . 

On the federal level, Turbotax does not support PDF attachments.  If you need to mail documents to the IRS, you have to do it yourself.  

I don't know if Turbotax supports PDF attachments for NJ state tax returns.  However, even if it is generally possible, since you already filed your return, attaching the document to your account now will not submit it to the state.  You will need to mail the document, or upload directly to the NJ tax department web site, or call them once they reopen after the coronavirus emergency is lifted. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies