turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to update spouse SSN in place of ITIN. Last year I filed with ITIN number but now have SSN

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies

How to update spouse SSN in place of ITIN. Last year I filed with ITIN number but now have SSN

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so they can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Uehsan01
Returning Member

What would be the case if you received your spouse SSN and you submit the last return with same ITIN mistakenly. Can we follow the same below process and just write letter to IRS to update or in this case we need to send amendment for last submitted return? Please guide.

This is what I am doing now since both of us had SSNs in 2019 but my filing accidentally included the ITIN. Sending a request to combine the records should retroactively change the filings. 

Normally you could request the change in person at your local IRS office but I sent off the request by mail on Monday.

@JGene I had same situation, please update your status whenever IRS response. On IRS website, they said when they received your request they will automatically combine Ssn to Itin but I afraid that during pandemic , it will take longer than it used to be

Crossing my fingers but my paperwork to the IRS gets delivered on Friday. You can sign into the IRS website and I do see my 2019 filing. I can at least check that independently before they reply to my letter.

shaxtge4

Hey, How and where can you check the status of your request that was sent through postal?

How do we get to know the status of the update. How much time does it take to get it updated with SSN.

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

If you updated it by filing an amended return, Form 1040X, the normal processing time is 12-16 weeks but processing is currently delayed. 

You can track the status here, once the return is received and scanned: Where's My Amended Return?

@psureshreddyss

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My package with the SSN information to the IRS was delivered on Friday April 24 but I haven't heard anything back from them just yet. I still see the ITIN on my filed 2019 tax records so it doesn't look like they've worked on merging the records just yet either.

Like I said, it will take more times. I guess 6-8 weeks

Gullu13

Any update on this, I filed taxes jointly but gave spouse ITIN but I received SSN 2 months forget to update.

Can I send copies directly to IRS or need to amend?

@Gullu13 Firstly, you have to send the letter including your ITIN AND SSN copied to let IRS know you got SSN, the address was on the top of the topic, about 6-8 weeks they will automatically combine them with your SSN, they will send you the notice when they’ve done. But if you check your tax return for prior years and don’t see the amount changing. So, go ahead and do amend 1040X forms. That will take 16 weeks from the day they got the form. 

KS261187
Returning Member

Can you please provide me the link to track the status online?

They do not have a link to track status online except you just create IRS account and check your tax return. Or you can go to the link to check your tax return to see new SSN update or not:

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies