turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How to get 2020 form 1040-es payment voucher ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Please see the TurboTax Help article How do I print estimated tax vouchers for my 2020 taxes?for guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This was what was provided to get to the 2020 104-ES.....

You can also calculate your 2020 estimated taxes and generate the payment vouchers by doing this:

1. With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to link.
  2. Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2020?
  3. Answer the questions about things like your 2020 filing status, income, and deductions.
  4. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2020 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.

NONE OF THIS WORKED.  We didn't need to pay estimates for 2019; but, this doesn't says that'd be something that'd be required to get to the 2020 1040-ES.  

I am so frustrated.....

@ Schmidt05 wrote:

NONE OF THIS WORKED.  We didn't need to pay estimates for 2019; but, this doesn't says that'd be something that'd be required to get to the 2020 1040-ES.  

I am so frustrated.....

I'm going to ask you to explain more, and I'm also going to give you some alternatives below.

This answer assumes you are using Online TurboTax (web version), although you didn't say if you are using online or desktop software (CD/download).

I don't understand that last paragraph you wrote.  I am unable to duplicate any problem in that section when I just prepared 2020 Form 1040-ES vouchers in a test return.    You do NOT have to have paid any estimated taxes in 2019 in order to prepare 2020 vouchers, so I'm not understanding something you wrote above.   There are a lot of folks who have to make 2020 estimated payments for the first time.

When I went through that topic today, the only reference to "2019" that I encountered was when it asked  "Which method to use" to calculate the 2020 estimated tax payments, such as these:

• 100% (or 110%) of your actual 2019 Federal taxes  (for many folks, this option is probably pre-selected as a default)
  • 100% of your estimated 2020 taxes
  • 90% of your estimated 2020 taxes
  • etc.

I don't understand what/where is a roadblock that you perceive. 

After you click YES that you want the 2020 vouchers to be printed, it doesn't print at that time.  It just adds them to the list of forms in your return.    One then has to go to the Print Center, obtain the PDF, and then print the selected pages from the PDF.   We can tell you more on how to print them when you explain what your roadblock is.

Have you already filed your 2019 return?  i.e., are you preparing your 2020 1040-ES vouchers before or after you have filed?

Another option is to download blank 2020 Forms 1040-ES vouchers from the IRS website and write in the payment amount, bio info, etc. and mail them to the proper IRS service center.

An even easier way to make 1040-ES quarterly payments is paperless by using IRS Direct Pay electronically, and nothing has to be filled out and mailed.

https://www.irs.gov/payments

If paying electronically at the IRS Direct Pay site, there is no fee to have it taken directly out of your bank account.  There is a service fee for paying by credit/debit card, however.   If you decide to make a payment there out of your bank account,  for "Reason for Payment" choose "Estimated tax".  For "Apply Payment To" choose "1040-ES".  Then choose the year.

Should you decide to pay there, then print out a confirmation for your records.

The advantage of IRS Direct Pay is that doesn't require an initial pre-enrollment, unlike EFTPS which I'll explain in the next paragraph.

While you can use IRS Direct Pay each quarter, if desired, if you think you are going to be making quarterly payments for a long time into the future, then you may want to consider opening a free account at the US Treasury's EFTPS website (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.)  You can even schedule quarterly payments in advance and make other types of Federal tax payments, such as a balance due on your Form 1040, etc.  For first time use, you have to set it up in advance with your banking info, and they send you a PIN in postal mail.  Once set up, you can make online payments there at the EFTPS website, or payments can be made by phone with the PIN.   For more info on EFTPS, there is an extensive FAQ page in the left menu column at this link:

https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/

I have the downloaded version for 2019 on my windows 10. I paid estimated taxes for 2019 and would like to print out the same vouchers for 2020 even if they are not necessary. Can someone help me? There is no take me to my return on my main screen, I just have the return listed and it is 1 of 3 returns that I am doing.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Click on the 2019 return and open it. Skip through any questions about amending the return by clicking on Federal (or Personal in Home and Business). 

• Then click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down and click on Other Tax Forms
  • Click Start or Update on W4 and estimated taxes

Skip the W4 questions, walkthrough the estimated tax questions. Then go to forms mode to print out the Form 1040ES. Be careful not to change any of the data in your filed tax return. 

@dadsdreem

Dean, thank you for your help! I did exactly as you recommended and I was able to print my 1040-es vouchers. Much thanks!

Thanks so much.  I finally got it; and, was able to 'play' around with the numbers.  Just signed up to be able to pay online and should get my PIN in 7 days.  Then, I'm hoping I can go back and make the estimate.  

I will make it all in payment 1 cause it's capital gains income earned the end of January.  

Ernie1944

I've completed my Federal taxes.  The 2020 1040-ES vouchers are ready to print, but I want to change the amount on the form to more properly reflect the amount of estimate I'll need to make for 2020.  How do I make that change on the form?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

To change the amount of calculated estimated taxes for 2020 in TurboTax, you go back under Other Tax Situations and under Other Tax Forms.

1st-You will be asked if you want to adjust your w-4 for 2020. Select no if you wish to just adjust the 2020 estimates and continue.

2nd- You will see the current estimated amounts based on your 2019 return and asked if you want to adjust your income or deductions. Select yes and continue with the interview to enter your estimated 2020 changes to income/deductions.

When complete, the new vouchers will print with your return or you can pay estimated taxes electronically.

Blens

When I get to the screen that allows you to change your 2020 income (also show the 2019 W-2 wages/withholding), i get an error message.  'Withholding should not be more than wages'. I worke part of last year and then retired.  I tried to put $0 in wages and withholding against my 2020 W-2.  I guess it doesn't like this.  Suggestions?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Go to the federal interview section.

1. Select Other Tax Situations 
  2. Select Other Tax Forms 
  3. Select Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes 
  4. Proceed to answer the questions as applicable
  5. Based upon your answers, the program will determine you need to make any additional estimated tax payments or not and will generate the payment vouchers as applicable
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies