Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter actual days worked at a city (Detroit) compared to all work days? Last year I did it using TurboTax and got a refund from the city!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

How to enter actual days worked at a city (Detroit) compared to all work days? Last year I did it using TurboTax and got a refund from the city!

You may have to allocate the days inside the city compared to all days worked manually. Click this link City of Detroit Forms and Instructions Resource for forms to support. You can use Form 5121 to allocate the days.

bulllfish
Returning Member

So Turbo Tax doesn't have a spot where I can entered my exact days I worked in Detroit?  I have to send in an amended return because it currently shows I didn't work any days in Detroit.  This is why I turned to Turbo Tax vs other tax software.   Is this going to be fixed?

DL76

Yes the link takes you to the City of Detroit page. I filed this last year straight through Turbo Tax. Why is it so difficult this year? I file the same basic return every year and this is always a headache...

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

As long as you have sent the income to Detroit from your W-2 initially, you will get the appropriate screens. If you do not, then you have to manually calculate the portion that was earned in Detroit and only enter that amount.

To complete a Nonresident Detroit Tax Return in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. When entering your Form W-2, be certain to capture the actual Local tax details beginning in Box 18. Enter Detroit in Box 20. And enter MI in the Associated State box next to Box 20.
  2. Handle the rest in the state return by following these steps:
    1. From the left menu, select State
    2. Continue, Select Edit/Continue next to Michigan and if you come directly to the summary screen, click Go Over Michigan Again
    3. Follow through the prompts  to Which Cities Did You Live or Work In?
    4. Select Detroit Nonresident and click Continue
    5. At the screen A few things before we wrap up your state taxes, select Revisit for Michigan city tax
    6. Continue
    7. Select Work on our Detroit Return and verify it is listed as Nonresident
    8. You will see your Detroit wages listed
    9. Click Edit on each one
    10. Click Working Days Allocation from the Drop down menu
    11. Enter your days worked
    12. TurboTax will allocate your income

If you do not begin with Detroit listed in your W-2, you will only get to the following screen:

Form 5121 does not appear to be working in the MI state return for 2020. When entering 225 days paid and 24 days worked in Detroit, it is calculating that 0.38% of the wages are taxable by Detroit. It should calculate that 10.7% of the wages are taxable by Detroit. Is there a reason behind this difference or is there a calculation error on the form?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@rossnash  You may want to Delete Michigan and begin again.

If your W-2 breaks out Detroit Wages, TurboTax will calculate the % of Detroit Wages to Total Wages.

If not, you figure the amounts and enter them yourself on the screen 'Income Apportionment', as the screenshot in shown in KathrynG3's response above indicates. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tianam15

I am trying to get this said screen, however it does not populate. I mail in quarterly my payments, and last year I had a credit forward. It will not populate these allocated boxes for this year, and I do not know why.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Try this and see if this clears the issue for you.  Please log completely out of TurboTax.  Then, in your browser, please clear your cache and delete your cookies.  After this, close completely out of the browser.  Re-open everything including logging back into TurboTax.  

For further instructions on how to clear cache and delete cookies, please see the links below:

Clear Cache

Delete Cookies

If this does not work, please reach out to us directly at the link here.  This will direct your inquiry to the correct department.  

tianam15

Thank you for this. However, it did not work. I am online with an "expert" for the last two days and its been approximately 45 minutes each time. It will not populate any way for me to enter in "days worked in city, etc."

It asks for my over payment amount, and it I want to forward it, but I do not want to. I dont know if it is because I am using the basic internet version, but it is very frustrating.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax allows you to adjust your Detroit earnings in the Detroit City section.

• On the screen Detroit Wages, click Edit next to your W-2
  • On Detroit Wage Adjustment, select Working Days Allocation
  • On Allocation of Detroit Wages, enter Total Vacation, Holidays, Sick Days, and Other Days not Worked and Total Days Worked in Detroit
  • Enter your explanation
tianam15

I understand what everyone is saying, and the directions....HOWEVER, it is not giving me any options for "Detroit wages" It is not giving me any prompts. I can not edit anything with "Detroit" I cannot enter any allocations, etc.

It asks me where I worked. I entered Detroit. It asks me to pick and I chose I file as a Detroit Non Resident. Then it asks about over payment for 2019. That is where the issue begins.

The only thing it is allowing me to do is enter my 2019 over payment and if I want to credit forward. And I have the "city taxes" entered quarterly under my federal section, so it is giving me a "refund" of ALL the money I paid in 2020 as well as 2019. 

Thank you all, just dont think TurboTax is helping me, and I may need other guidance. 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach back to us for further assistance on this issue. Follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies