Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Jeislor1

How do i switch from free file to the paid version of TurboTax. it is saying I no longer qualify and is not letting me procced after inputting most of my information.

It is allowed me to select switch to deluxe version but when I select to finali[ze my return it takes me back to the page that says that I do not qualify to file for free.  

How do i switch from free file to the paid version of TurboTax. it is saying I no longer qualify and is not letting me procced after inputting most of my information.

Excuse me ... but if you upgrade from the FREE version  to the Deluxe version it is no longer free ... when you choose to upgrade the screen told you of the cost.  

Try clearing your cookies and / or switch browsers to see if that helps. 

No, this does not address the question about how to get out of the FreeFile once you've gotten in.  In TurboTax FreeFile, there is no "Upgrade" in the menu and there is no menu icon in the upper-left corner.

@cannotfreefile wrote:

No, this does not address the question about how to get out of the FreeFile once you've gotten in.  In TurboTax FreeFile, there is no "Upgrade" in the menu and there is no menu icon in the upper-left corner.

Go to the TurboTax online, choose your edition and sign on with the same User ID you used with the Free File Program.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Turbo tax u guys suck for this

bmp740

Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

I clicked the deluxe version and it gave me the choice to choose between the free IRS version and the deluxe version

This worked!!! 100%

"I think they heard you"

This did not work for me

@StandBakBurrito wrote:

This did not work for me

We don't know what "this" is, and you've said nothing about your situation.   If you were using the TurboTax IRS Free File Program  at this special website https://freefile.intuit.com/  and no longer qualify to use it, here's what another user reported worked for him that allowed him to change back to regular Online TurboTax and keep the same account:

• First log out of all Intuit accounts. 
  • Delete your browser Internet cache and any Intuit-related cookies.
  • Close your browser and reopen it.
  • Go to this specific product comparison page:   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  • When you arrive there, do NOT sign in yet.
  • Choose the product you want like you hadn't even started a return before, and click on "Start for Free".
  • It will ask how you did your taxes last year.  Say "TurboTax", and then it will ask you to sign in.
  • When you log in, it may recognize you were using the IRS Free File Program and should ask you if you want to switch to a TurboTax commercial product and not use the IRS Free File Program anymore.   Say "yes".
  • Hopefully, that will put you back in regular Online TurboTax while keeping your originally-entered info.

@mesquitebean I replied to a specific comment, my expectation was that the thread would be shown in my reply. 

I attempted to solve the issue in the way you listed but was unsuccessful. I was able to switch though. I noticed that sometimes when i refreshed the upgrade button would show up for a moment then disappear. I repeatedly refreshed and at one point was able to click the upgrade button. 

mesquitebean's solution 2 messages up from this post is what ended up working for me.

I was confused for a while because there are actually 2 turbotax "free" online programs:

1. "TurboTax IRS Free File Program"
(reached from the https://freefile.intuit.com/ site. Offered through IRS free file program, and it has all the bells and whistles, but an income cap for eligibility.)

2."TurboTax Free Edition"
(reached from the regular Intuit sales page. Only for very simple returns, but no income cap.)

Half of the solutions in this thread work for one and half for the other. This one worked to get out of the "TurboTax IRS Free File Program".

keeterrj

There is on upgrade on. the left.  I started out on the IRS free file on turbo and I can not use the free one and want to change to paid and not lose all my hard work.

keeterrj

yes

@ keeterrj wrote:

There is on upgrade on. the left.  I started out on the IRS free file on turbo and I can not use the free one and want to change to paid and not lose all my hard work.

You do not use an upgrade button to get out of the TurboTax IRS Free File Program.  Scroll up and see the answer I left on 6/03/20 that has an outline (bullet points) of all the steps to change from the IRS Free File Program to a paid edition without starting over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies