turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pmdxoxo

How do I show proof that my owed state taxes were taken out of my federal return?

I got a notice that I did not pay my state tax las year 2019 and I had intuit take it from my federal return. How do I show proof?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I show proof that my owed state taxes were taken out of my federal return?

No, you misunderstood.  That's not possible.  You might have had the Turbo Tax fees deducted from your refund.

The state tax can not be deducted from the federal refund.  NEVER.  You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted.  You will still get the full federal refund minus any fees you had deducted.  Turbo Tax just shows you a screen at the end showing the Net amount of federal and state combined.  But it is just for your own info.  You do still have to pay the state yourself separately.   See,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

Your only proof of payment is your bank statement or credit card showing the payment coming out.  Turbo Tax only passes your bank account number to the state for the state to take it out of your account.  But most states do not let you pay by Direct Debit so you have to mail in a check or go directly to the state's website to pay.

how did you have TurboTax do that, since that can't be done.?

Now you must pay, a year late.

pmdxoxo

Thanks for trying to help????  Yes they do that.  They always ask and the end of every tax year I have done my taxes.  Its a great feature.

Sorry only the Turbo Tax Fees can be deducted from a federal refund.  Not a state tax due.  Federal and state are completely separate.  Did you read that link I posted?  Turbo Tax only shows you the net amount of federal and state combined but that is only for your own info.  

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@pmdxoxo wrote:

Thanks for trying to help????  Yes they do that.  They always ask and the end of every tax year I have done my taxes.  Its a great feature.

Sorry, but they do NOT do that.    The ONLY thing that can be paid from your Federal refund is your TurboTax fees (what TurboTax charges for the use of the software), any *tax* owed, whether Federal, State or Local, must be paid by you using other means, such as check, credit card, direct debit to checking account, directly to the taxing authority through their web site, etc.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies